Real EoTech or Chinese Clone for my rimfire?

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Thorney
Home club or Range: Silverstone Shooting Centre

Re: Real EoTech or Chinese Clone for my rimfire?

#21 Post by Thorney »

I've run an Eotech on my shotgun for years and have now decided to run one with the Aimpoint on the MR, works well.
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#22 Post by Nelly2014 »

Blackstuff wrote:
AltogetherElsewhere wrote:Without meaning to sound patronising (because I promise I'm not! Just trying to help!) have you tried looking into a middle-ground? There are plenty of decent-quality Reflex/Red-Dot/ACOG-style sights out there from reputable brands in the £70-£170 range which would be fine for a rimfire. I just picked up a Sightmark for ~£100 for my own (rimfire clone) AR. It seems to be holding just fine, and feels solid enough!

As to your question about whether it's a waste to spend a lot on a sight for a .22 - it's relative to you! How much use are you going to get out of it, relative to your other guns? How much difference is it going to make to your chosen discipline(s)?

I'd also take a good, long look at your poor rifle and ask what it has done to deserve a £15 Ebay Chinese Knock-Off! lol
You may as well spend at least that little extra to get a half-decent optic with some staying-power. As a (not so) wise television character once said: "Treat yo self".
/\ This!

There are new models of Sightmark sights that are very EoTech like in appearance and Holosun product excellent red dots that look quite similar to Aimpoints (they also do a model not a million miles away from an Eotech).

I have bought a knockoff Eotech before from Ebay and it just wouldn't zero at all, let alone hold it, whereas I have a friend who put one on a shotgun and it lasted for 5 years before eventually giving out. Personally I wouldn't bother. I'd only put one on an airsoft rifle if I was still doing that.

One thing I would suggest is getting your hands on an Eotech before buying it, they are (comparatively) heavy sights and I personally wouldn't entertain one on a rifle I was going to use for mini-rifle/action type competition shooting. In fact I have an EXPS2 on my competition shotgun and I have already purchased a Holosun 515 CM to replace it due to the weight (the Holosun is living on my VZ58 MARS until that finally gets taken off me as it looks the mutts on there!).
I have used an Eotech 552 with a Vortex VMX flip magnifier for about 4 years on my 15-22. Works well as the Smith is light to start and I like the 1moa/65moa recticle. However if I had a demasculated heavy-weight AR15 like a Spikes I would probably fit my feather-weight Shield (also 1moa/65moa) to save a bit of weight.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#23 Post by Blackstuff »

That's the beauty of the 15-22 though! You can strap virtually anything to it and it'll still likely weigh less than a meatal AR! :p

However, next time you remove the sight for whatever reason just fell the weight/handling speed difference with the gun. I was shocked when I did that with my Typhoon F12 and that is an heavyweight shotgun!
DVC
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#24 Post by Ovenpaa »

BamBam wrote:A quality optic can be an investment. It will probably outlive your current rifle.

I am against any form of counterfeit products, anybody that sells them has a questionable morality that has no place in UK shooting.
Reminds me of a conversation I had earlier this week.

Another RFD: 22-250 came in grouping badly, he cleaned and checked everything as it was badly fouled and it was fire cracked but acceptable. He tried factory ammunition and it was all over the place, tried some hand loads and all over the place again so he looked at the Leupold 'scope. He suggested swapping out but no, apparently it had come via a mate and was good. In the end the customer par exchanged the rifle for something else.

So now he has a quite good 22-250 in stock with what turned out to be a really dodgy counterfeit Leupold that is worthless.

Well it made me smile :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal

#25 Post by 7792 »

AltogetherElsewhere wrote:Without meaning to sound patronising (because I promise I'm not! Just trying to help!) have you tried looking into a middle-ground //Snip// As a (not so) wise television character once said: "Treat yo self".
I’ll take all the bacon and eggs you have...

Appreciate the reply! I’m not a competition shooter or anything like that (maybe one day who knows) I just like to put holes in paper or plink off steel and have fun. For me if it’s a fist sized grouping it’s a win, I’m not looking to put 25rnds through a single hole or anything! For me guns are half how they shoot and half what they look like and it’s the looks of the EoTech I like specifically (I also want to get an Acog for a Guncraft 22WMR if/when I finally get one).

In the end I’ve decided to do both - I’ve ordered an XPS lookalike for £30 while I save up the money for a real one.

#26 Post by 7792 »

Ovenpaa wrote:
BamBam wrote:...now he has a quite good 22-250 in stock with what turned out to be a really dodgy counterfeit Leupold that is worthless.
That’s the difference I was trying to discern earlier. A counterfeit scope is different to a clone scope (imo). A counterfeit does its best to convince you that it’s the real deal and you end up paying over the odds for what you think is a quality optic only to discover its junk and you’ve been had. This, I disagree with. It’s fraud pure and simple.

A clone however doesn’t profess to be something it’s not, it simply copies the overall look of a more expensive scope but doesn’t try and trick you into thinking it’s one.

Minidiva® 551 Holographic Sight Red Gre ... jEb5P4GYY9

Looks like an EoTech externally but it’s not trying to pass itself off as one. If you buy this thinking it’s a real deal EoTech that’s more your fault than theirs I’d say.
Nelly2014

#27 Post by Nelly2014 »

7792 wrote:
Ovenpaa wrote:
BamBam wrote:...now he has a quite good 22-250 in stock with what turned out to be a really dodgy counterfeit Leupold that is worthless.
That’s the difference I was trying to discern earlier. A counterfeit scope is different to a clone scope (imo). A counterfeit does its best to convince you that it’s the real deal and you end up paying over the odds for what you think is a quality optic only to discover its junk and you’ve been had. This, I disagree with. It’s fraud pure and simple.

A clone however doesn’t profess to be something it’s not, it simply copies the overall look of a more expensive scope but doesn’t try and trick you into thinking it’s one.

Minidiva® 551 Holographic Sight Red Gre ... jEb5P4GYY9

Looks like an EoTech externally but it’s not trying to pass itself off as one. If you buy this thinking it’s a real deal EoTech that’s more your fault than theirs I’d say.
I would not say this 'Minidiva' is entirely free of attempt to pass itself off as genuine. Firstly, it has a Laser sticker which it clearly can not be for that price. Secondly it has the 'Law enforcement only' which is also plainly untrue. Yes, we cognoscenti will obviously know what this is but the newbies, or less informed shall we say, could be fooled into thinking that this thing could be used for serious shooting.
I have a real Eotech clone made by Bushnell and clearly marked as such which actually has a laser system (1moa/65moa) but the metal and plastic parts are not upto Eotech standard hence it was about quarter the price of the real thing but still definitely up to the job as I use it on my RS-S1.
Hence in my opinion this Amazon offering is still an attempt to deceive the unwary.

#28 Post by 7792 »

You make a fair point, I don’t think it’s attempting to pass itself off as an EoTech but there’s perhaps an argument it’s not totally clear that it isn’t an EoTech type optic.

Consequence of looking for a quick example first think in the morning!

So what about this...? Still counterfeit? Or acceptable ‘clone’?

https://www.ukfob.co.uk/Sights-Scopes/N ... IGHT-BLACK
Nelly2014

#29 Post by Nelly2014 »

7792 wrote:You make a fair point, I don’t think it’s attempting to pass itself off as an EoTech but there’s perhaps an argument it’s not totally clear that it isn’t an EoTech type optic.

Consequence of looking for a quick example first think in the morning!

So what about this...? Still counterfeit? Or acceptable ‘clone’?

https://www.ukfob.co.uk/Sights-Scopes/N ... IGHT-BLACK
Eotech sights are just one of a class of rugged Military type sighting systems that you often see in use by various fighting units and law enforcement. They aren't necessarily the best but they are reliable and you can knock them around a bit. But they are expensive and a bit overkill for Practical shooting with our little .22's but maybe PSG demands a sturdier sight. As an aside it always makes me laugh when you see them used in film and TV, they are never switched on! See Sicario. As regards the Nuprol? sight, it has the look but how will it perform? Unless you've got deep pockets (I've got a lot of sights but I've never bought one brand new, always s/h or come with a rifle) I would look at Vortex, Shield or anything with a lifetime no quibble warranty. Even some of the established Ebay sellers; Stephenwbates is one, buy their stuff cheap from China and mark up massively. Cumpers (airsoft nuts) tend to buy this stuff as it doesn't matter whether it performs if you spraying plastic balls around. Stick with something decent but buy wisely and buy once is my advice.