Next Purchase

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

CraigH
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Mayfair Sunderland

Next Purchase

#1 Post by CraigH »

Hi All

Recently acquired FAC and immediately ran out and bought myself a CZ 452 (which I love).

I'm now considering my next purchase and I'm torn between a GSG 1911 and a Smith & Wesson 15-22 - I know it's subjective and they're both vey different, but as I've never tried either I'm looking for opinions. If you have tried/owned both:

Which one puts the bigger smile on your face?
If you're heading to range which one of the two would you grab first?
Which is the most reliable?
Which is the easier of the two to maintain?

Reasons for the last 2 are I'm still very new to all this and not too confident on the maintenance side (but eager to learn)

Any suggestions gratefully received!
kevinww

Re: Next Purchase

#2 Post by kevinww »

Just checking as its not clear in the way you have posed the question, but you do know the GSG1911 will require a specific LBP slot on your ticket and can't be acquired on a 22LR rifle slot.
CraigH

#3 Post by CraigH »

kevinww wrote:Just checking as its not clear in the way you have posed the question, but you do know the GSG1911 will require a specific LBP slot on your ticket and can't be acquired on a 22LR rifle slot.
Hi Kevin - Well spotted - should have mentioned, I have spare slots for Semi Auto .22lr and .22lr LBP ( If I had the spare cash I would get both!)

Cheers!
Rockhopper

#4 Post by Rockhopper »

Friend of mine has a GSG1911, it’s goes bang each time you squeeze the trigger which is a plus point but it’s so inaccurate that he gets no pleasure from shooting it.
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#5 Post by DaveB »

I have a S&W M&P 15-22 and it puts quite a smile on my face. Accurate as heck, reliable and just plain fun.

The only downside from my perspective is the polymer frame. I have had no issues with it and the reputation for longevity is good, but for some reason I cannot really define, I wish it were made of 7075 T6 aluminium like a 'real' AR.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

i have both

Which one puts the bigger smile on your face? - 15/22
If you're heading to range which one of the two would you grab first? - 15/22
Which is the most reliable? - 15/22 but my gsg is modified, and I have introduced failiures into it. my form over function. as stock, it was fairly reliable. 15/22 is also modified, but actually works lol
Which is the easier of the two to maintain? - 15/22 - easier to strip for sure
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

I also have both and as above its the 15-22 on all accounts, by a country mile.
DVC
CraigH

#8 Post by CraigH »

Thanks for the replies - looks like it's going to be the 15-22!
shotgun sam

#9 Post by shotgun sam »

Why a 15 22?
I have 2 ruger 10 22's which I have found to be more reliable than those in the club that have the likes of the 15 22.
The 10 22 also has the advantage of different stock style that are easily changed over which if you so desire can replicate different types of military looking rifles.
I use my 10 22's for fun at the range and hunting and know if you press the trigger it goes bang
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Nelly2014
Home club or Range: WNSC, UKPSA, SDC, MYOB

#10 Post by Nelly2014 »

Looks like you've made up your mind but I've also got both and there is no one tighter with money than me. Got the Smith s/h about 4 year ago, added bits including a real Eotech, extra mags and shortened barrel and it still owes me less than a grand. Polymer? mmm which other world-famous ultra-reliable gun is made of mostly polymer?
Smith is light, surely but the advantage of that is you can put loads of kit on it and still not weigh as much as yer average 'demasculated' £1500 pretendy AR.

GSG 1911 bought cheap s/h a year ago in as new condition. Bought extra mags, put a s/h refurbished Shield 4moa on it, s/h tune up kit, s/h sexy grips. Never fails, reasonably accurate. Owes me less than £600.
I can therefore spend loads of money on expensive ammo lol