Most accurate .22LR semi-auto

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

Re: Most accurate .22LR semi-auto

#11 Post by Geek »

snayperskaya wrote:
can-of-worms1.jpg
teanews
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#12 Post by snayperskaya »

Geek wrote:
snayperskaya wrote:
can-of-worms1.jpg
teanews
teanews teanews
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by 1066 »

I think you'll struggle to find a semi-auto that will consistently shoot 1 moa at 100yds, in fact, other that a match rifle shooting match quality ammunition, there's very few bolt actions that will do it.

Yes, I read about hundreds of CZ's that shoot ragged holes at 100 yards with HP subs off the bonnet of a Land Rover, it's just that it's not consistent. Two or three years ago I set a challenge, on the UKV forum, to shoot three consecutive 1" x 5 shot groups at 100 yds on a single sheet of paper - just 15 shots, no others. Many tried, some managed one 1" group but no one managed three, some of these were quality bolt rifles.

The chambers of semi-auto .22's are much looser that a match rifle chamber to aid reliability, the leade of a match rifle is very short so that the lead bullet is actually forced into the rifling as the action is closed, loose and sloppy on a semi-auto.
On a semi-auto the cartridge is fed into the chamber at an angle, there is often a ramp machined into the start of the chamber to aid feeding, this means the case is not fully supported, as the round is stripped from the magazine and slammed into the breech of a semi-auto the bullet is often deformed or scraped.

Semi-auto triggers are seldom as crisp as a good bolt trigger - they have various forms of disconnectors so you don't go full auto. Semi- autos are usually considerably lighter, thinner barrelled than a blot rifle.

Almost all good quality match ammunition is subsonic - many semi-autos are only reliable with standard velocity rounds.

I like accurate rifles, I have a Sako Finnfire P94S with a Lilja match barrel and a tuner - shooting Eley tenex from a rested position I can shoot 1" five shot groups. (occasionally)

Something like an Anschutz 520 might be worth a look. The semi-autos .22 that perform well in the USA all seem to be custom jobs.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
The Gun Pimp

#14 Post by The Gun Pimp »

I'd be having a chat with Roger Francis at Rimfire Magic. He makes his own version of the Ruger 10/22 action with your barrel, stock etc of choice dependent on intended use. I was amazed at what great value these rifles are.
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#15 Post by Lancs Lad »

meles meles wrote:
meles meles wrote: We're thinking of sub MoA accuracy and faultless feeding...
Ideally, we'd like a single ragged hole at 100 mards, but will settle for 1" at that distance.
Mission impossible I fear!

:flag13: LL
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#16 Post by Les »

I had a Japanese-made Weatherby XXII which was extremely accurate and very reliable. The only downside was the lack of any spares if anything went wrong, so I px'd it for a 10/22 'target' model with a heavy Butler Creek fluted barrel.

The 10/22 looked the part, but target shooting in the USA is totally different to target shooting in the UK. A semi-auto will never be on a par with a decent bolt action, but the Weatherby did come very close.
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#17 Post by Gh0st »

Most people wont have access to a 100 yard range on a regular basis.

Ive got to set my VQ up this week for a Rimfire comp Saturday so ill play with it in the 50m range see what its like on paper
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#18 Post by dromia »

I am always impressed with the accuracy of my BSA Ralock when shot benched.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#19 Post by meles meles »

Yes, we wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if some of the older, properly engineered semi-autos were amongst the best of the breed. We may take a walk over to Rimfire Magic and ask about their 10/22s, but do have a yearning for something like an olde Browning AR22. We know little about the BSA Ralock, something we'll remedy forthwith.
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Sim G
Past Supporter

#20 Post by Sim G »

I've had three rifles built by Roger. The most accurate was a VQ receiver, bolt and trigger group, mated to an Adams and Bennet heavy barrel, dropped in a Ruger 10/22 laminate stock.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!