Need help and advice on Anschutz 54 Match..

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Eastmids-HD
Home club or Range: Wedgenock Warwick

Need help and advice on Anschutz 54 Match..

#1 Post by Eastmids-HD »

Hi all, I have recently joined my first small bore target club (last week infact), I took my CZ455 22LR to see how well I'd get on at the 50 and it soon became apparent that as much as I'd hoped that I could use the CZ as a dedicated target rifle it wasn't to be.

After chatting to some of the members, one of them was kind enough to let me shoot his BSA International, which intern highlighted the reason(s) why my CZ just couldn't perform as well. Further on in the conversation, the Match 54 came up and that afternoon I was on a well known gun site looking for a Match 54 only to be left scratching my head as there were so many with various model numbers, years, barrel lengths etc etc? It got very confusing to say the least.

I spoilt myself when shooting air rifles as I had Daystate's, Ripley's and my lovely Steyr which had the sweetest trigger.

If anyone could be kind enough to school me on the Match 54 then i'd honestly appreciate it as currently I have over 10 of them bookmarked.

One thing I will say is that I'm not wanting to use diopters and I'll be shooting mostly bench and possibly prone some of the time.

cheers cheers
CZ455 22 LR
Tikka T3 22 250
Anschutz 1813 Supermatch

more to come
Chrisbaker42
Home club or Range: Penrhiwpal

Re: Need help and advice on Anschutz 54 Match..

#2 Post by Chrisbaker42 »

You would certainly be better off going down the Anschutz route than the BSA although they are a very nice rifle. Of the match 54’s you really want to try to get one of the **13 series many 1813’s out their for very reasonable money and for a bit more the 1913 is a newer version. Bill Phelps at welsharms.co.uk often has one or more in stock and being an ex international shooter is both very knowledgeable and totally reliable. His prices are always decent and he’s based in Cardiff.
Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

#3 Post by Alan D »

When you get your 54, spend plenty of time making the myriad of butt adjustments etc to get her just right for you.

Get her right, your position, sling adjustment etc (it takes time) and get consistent with plenty of practice, before you start competition shooting.

You can buy examples very cheaply these days and they really are absolute tack drivers.

No need to spend stupid money.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#4 Post by FredB »

I would take the BSA in preference anyday.
Fred
Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

#5 Post by Alan D »

Nothing wrong with the excellent BSA International Fred, you will get no argument from me...

Different stokes for different folks.

You can buy Internationals very cheaply, but they are starting to become collectable, especially in good order.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

you can get your anschutz fixed fairly easily if something breaks. when was the last time you saw an ejector spring for an international? I still want a new stock for mine.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Eastmids-HD

#7 Post by Eastmids-HD »

Hi folks an update. Picked up a very nice 1813 Supermatch at the week end and very happy indeed.
I was half tempted with the Beezer but the Annie was always going to be first choice.
CZ455 22 LR
Tikka T3 22 250
Anschutz 1813 Supermatch

more to come
Eastmids-HD

#8 Post by Eastmids-HD »

Chrisbaker42 wrote:You would certainly be better off going down the Anschutz route than the BSA although they are a very nice rifle. Of the match 54’s you really want to try to get one of the **13 series many 1813’s out their for very reasonable money and for a bit more the 1913 is a newer version. Bill Phelps at welsharms.co.uk often has one or more in stock and being an ex international shooter is both very knowledgeable and totally reliable. His prices are always decent and he’s based in Cardiff.
Thanks for the heads up, I'm sorted now but it was a week of doing so much reading about the various models etc and lots of bookmarking on GT and GS.

I will still have a look at your suggestion though, thanks
CZ455 22 LR
Tikka T3 22 250
Anschutz 1813 Supermatch

more to come
Eastmids-HD

#9 Post by Eastmids-HD »

Alan D wrote:When you get your 54, spend plenty of time making the myriad of butt adjustments etc to get her just right for you.

Get her right, your position, sling adjustment etc (it takes time) and get consistent with plenty of practice, before you start competition shooting.

You can buy examples very cheaply these days and they really are absolute tack drivers.

No need to spend stupid money.
I spotted some match 54's ranging from £235 all the way upto £1200, I got mine for £750, a little more than I wanted to spend but its in great condition with the correct stock so I'm happy.
CZ455 22 LR
Tikka T3 22 250
Anschutz 1813 Supermatch

more to come
Eastmids-HD

#10 Post by Eastmids-HD »

FredB wrote:I would take the BSA in preference anyday.
Fred
Out of curiosity Fred, why do you say that?
CZ455 22 LR
Tikka T3 22 250
Anschutz 1813 Supermatch

more to come