Keltec CMR-30

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Brian838
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Offa's Dyke.

Keltec CMR-30

#1 Post by Brian838 »

I know I'm clutching at straws here, but I am thinking of emailing Keltec and asking if they would consider making a number of CMR-30 rifles with a muzzle brake perm attached to the barrel before assembly, so they could (in theory) be sold over here.
Does anybody know of any importers/RFD's that might be interested in bringing these to the UK? fingerscrossed
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

Re: Keltec CMR-30

#2 Post by Sixshot6 »

Brian838 wrote:I know I'm clutching at straws here, but I am thinking of emailing Keltec and asking if they would consider making a number of CMR-30 rifles with a muzzle brake perm attached to the barrel before assembly, so they could (in theory) be sold over here.
Does anybody know of any importers/RFD's that might be interested in bringing these to the UK? fingerscrossed
I've had the same thought about a permanently attached brake, pinned and welded should do. Rudefatdog a while back gauged interest in a uk legal KSG, but the stuff involved to make it uk legal makes it too long. A permanent brake is accepted for making certain shotguns legal, should work for rifles and will have some appeal due to being a 22 wmr with a 30 round mag, I'd ask Rude fat dog, suffolk rifles and maybe some others, but those two are a good port of call.
Odd Job

#3 Post by Odd Job »

I contacted Keltec about a possible modification to the SUB2000, which would let us have it in the UK.
Their response is emphatic: they will not send anything to the UK, never mind modify it.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
Sixshot6

#4 Post by Sixshot6 »

Odd Job wrote:I contacted Keltec about a possible modification to the SUB2000, which would let us have it in the UK.
Their response is emphatic: they will not send anything to the UK, never mind modify it.
Was that to turn the SUB2000 into a straight pull or something else? Rudefatdog must have thought it possible if he asked people if they wanted a KSG, you don't even have to do alot to make a CMR uk legal, just pin and weld a brake at the factory that is 2 inches long and you've made 24.5 inches which is over 12/24 rule.
Brian838
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Offa's Dyke.

#5 Post by Brian838 »

Odd Job wrote:I contacted Keltec about a possible modification to the SUB2000, which would let us have it in the UK.
Thought as much. Shame though as I can't see a 22. wmr AR coming along anytime soon.
Sixshot6

#6 Post by Sixshot6 »

Brian838 wrote:
Thought as much. Shame though as I can't see a 22. wmr AR coming along anytime soon.
I believe an attempt has been made with alexander arms, converting the 17 hmr one, but feeding is the issue from what I was told.

http://www.ray-vin.com/bmr/bmruppers.htm

This guy does 22 wmr uppers for ar's, even does a left-hand ejecting one, don't know if he'll ship to the uk though. I'd ask a uk dealer to contact one of these people as some of these smaller guys could either be scared by paperwork or need their hand holding.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#7 Post by Blackstuff »

Modifying the SUB2000 to be UK legal would require some sort of interrupter system like lever or trigger release as it’s a straight blowback gun so the logistics would've been a nightmare. Plus considering how fugly the gun is and how cheap Keltec stuff feels I doubt not many would be willing to part with the no doubt exorbitant amount of money it would cost.

The KSG only really needed a longer barrel and it was good to go. The problem with it was the severely limited market. A gun like that would need to be good for practical shotgun and it just isn't as its too slow to reload, plus there may have been issues keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction while reloading, especially for slug stages.

I would be interested in a CMR if the price wasn't ridiculous. Best of luck finding an exporter :good:
DVC
Sixshot6

#8 Post by Sixshot6 »

Blackstuff wrote:Modifying the SUB2000 to be UK legal would require some sort of interrupter system like lever or trigger release as it’s a straight blowback gun so the logistics would've been a nightmare. Plus considering how fugly the gun is and how cheap Keltec stuff feels I doubt not many would be willing to part with the no doubt exorbitant amount of money it would cost.

The KSG only really needed a longer barrel and it was good to go. The problem with it was the severely limited market. A gun like that would need to be good for practical shotgun and it just isn't as its too slow to reload, plus there may have been issues keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction while reloading, especially for slug stages.

I would be interested in a CMR if the price wasn't ridiculous. Best of luck finding an exporter :good:
The KSG would also be competing against detachable mag shotguns to boot, it's main appeal is in places like New york, california and connecticut where detachable mags on semi shotguns are banned, and mags are limited to 10 rounds so the round switch-able 7 round mags make you able to have 14 legally. I'm surprised no one has tried to make a trigger disconnector for the SU16? Do you think anyone would want one of those blackstuff?
Sixshot6

#9 Post by Sixshot6 »

Just realized logistics again about a mars or lever type SU16. Plus there is the issue that Kel tec can go a long time between showing a product and having it for sale (the cmr appeared a couple of years ago as the RMR, jokes probably forced a name change) and they can sometimes be slow at making stuff. So they're a mixed bag company sadly.
ChAoS

#10 Post by ChAoS »

Blackstuff wrote:A gun like that would need to be good for practical shotgun and it just isn't as its too slow to reload
If I could create a UK-legal version of a Yank shotgun I'd have what, I suppose, would be an SRM1232:

http://www.srmarms.com/firearms/

Regards,

Mark.
Came late in life to shooting, but is making up for lost time.