Guncraft .22 WMR AR

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Guncraft .22 WMR AR

#21 Post by Ovenpaa »

safetyfirst wrote:what would happen is we’d lose semi auto.
Heh, people are working very hard towards that goal already and no, I do not necessarily mean the Home Office.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#22 Post by Sixshot6 »

I looked up 22 Remjet and how the hell did that thing ever fit in a revolver chamber for crying out loud?
Sim G
Past Supporter

#23 Post by Sim G »

Sixshot6 wrote:I looked up 22 Remjet and how the hell did that thing ever fit in a revolver chamber for crying out loud?

Easy, it's based on the .357 magnum case, necked down to .22 with the same overall length. They also made chamber inserts that allowed the use of .22lr. The bore was .223" as per "old" Hornet, and not the centre fire standard of today of .224".

Back to the WMR AR. Did anyone who was planning large scale manufacture ever get one to run reliably? I thought that was why Bill Alexander binned the idea?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

#24 Post by Alan D »

Sim G wrote:
Sixshot6 wrote:I looked up 22 Remjet and how the hell did that thing ever fit in a revolver chamber for crying out loud?

Easy, it's based on the .357 magnum case, necked down to .22 with the same overall length. They also made chamber inserts that allowed the use of .22lr. The bore was .223" as per "old" Hornet, and not the centre fire standard of today of .224".

Back to the WMR AR. Did anyone who was planning large scale manufacture ever get one to run reliably? I thought that was why Bill Alexander binned the idea?
I think that now people have gone back to using a simple weighted bolt and buffer tube, they have reliable actions.

The Tippmenn would be simplicity itself to rework to WMR.

Add greater mass to the bolt (bolt rear already has a cavity at the rear) , stronger buffer spring and bobs your uncle.
Chapuis

#25 Post by Chapuis »

Sixshot6 wrote:
Airbrush wrote:
Gazza wrote:This would be nice in 17HMR also :good:
Only trouble is a mag dump would cost you over 8 quid lol
The Yanks made one, didn’t take off, too unreliable.
you mean the remington semi auto or the one Alexander arms made? Oddly I've seen one that was made reliable by a guy in california that he made run as a full blown DI.... he was also supposed to be getting a 22wmr version going, even got in contact but life took over. Also there is 17wsm ar Franklin armory made. garrow firearms is the californian guy but since he's one man band it will be a while.....
Didn't Ruger also try to develop the 10/22 in .17HMR at one time but eventually give up after encountering problems?
Not that it makes any difference to us if they had been successful because it would take a change in the law to allow a semi-auto in anything other than .22 rimfire in the U.K.
Alan D

#26 Post by Alan D »

Didn't Ruger also try to develop the 10/22 in .17HMR at one time but eventually give up after encountering problems?
Not that it makes any difference to us if they had been successful because it would take a change in the law to allow a semi-auto in anything other than .22 rimfire in the U.K.[/quote]

Yep, self contained bolt designs don't lend themselves well to the considerably higher chamber pressure of WMR.

The 'Keep it simple stupid' rule applies, simple reciprocating bolt with buffer....
Gazza

#27 Post by Gazza »

If someone would make some rimfire .223 cases we would be back in business again :D :good:
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#28 Post by Mattnall »

Gazza wrote:If someone would make some rimfire .223 cases we would be back in business again :D :good:
For a very short while, until the the next vcr or owb update.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Alan D

#29 Post by Alan D »

They would move it through to Sec5 quicker than you could say ' restricted freedom' along with our .22 lr semi's probably!
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#30 Post by mag41uk »

As an aside Southams have a lot of 22wmr ammo in their upcoming auction.