Guncraft .22 WMR AR

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

Guncraft .22 WMR AR

#1 Post by Alan D »

Evening all,

Anyone managed to get hands on one of the new .22 WMR AR's?

They look very good with forward assist, bolt hold open ect.

I would be very interested to see the bolt group ( UK made apparently), I would assume using the buffer tube.

I won't personally go near the "other" provider of .22WMR AR's, for reasons I won't go into.

Always had great service from Guncraft in the past though.
Alan D

Re: Guncraft .22 WMR AR

#2 Post by Alan D »

kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#3 Post by kennyc »

love the WMR as a vermin round, a bit pricey for target use IMHO compared to 22LR, on another point, why bother with a forward assist? if its to reseat the bolt because its been unlocked then thats what the cutout in the bolt is for, bolt hold open is far more useful, but as has been said in the past "why would I want to beat something into a chamber that didn't want to go in in the first place"
forward assist, turning inconveniences into disasters since the 'Nam bangbang
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#4 Post by mag41uk »

Apart from vermin what would you use it for?
Velocity puts it over most gallery rifle type ranges.
Most indoor ranges wouldn't be suitable.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#5 Post by Daryll »

Maybe if you've only got .22RF on your FAC its something with a bit more oomph..?? you can pretend you've got a real AR.. :D

And, as has been said before, its not ideal to go wandering the fields with a "black rifle"..
Alan D

#6 Post by Alan D »

kennyc wrote:love the WMR as a vermin round, a bit pricey for target use IMHO compared to 22LR, on another point, why bother with a forward assist? if its to reseat the bolt because its been unlocked then thats what the cutout in the bolt is for, bolt hold open is far more useful, but as has been said in the past "why would I want to beat something into a chamber that didn't want to go in in the first place"
Why bother with a forward assist ... Well because the parent rifle has one.

Why bother with the caliber? Well you can shoot semi auto accurately out to 200 yds, haven't done that in the UK since they took my semi auto center fires away in 88.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#7 Post by safetyfirst »

kennyc wrote:, why bother with a forward assist? if its to reseat the bolt because its been unlocked then thats what the cutout in the bolt is for,
That cutout also runs the dust cover latching system....
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Ovenpaa »

Well you could always reload your own to keep the ammunition costs down and it should not be a problem as long as you time the cases correctly when loading the magazine. I do wonder what would happen if someone was to introduce a .22 Rifle-fire with something like Remjet or more suitably the Hornet dimensions, as a rim-fire .22 it would, in theory at least, still be UK S/A legal.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Blackstuff »

They need to get some 25/30rd mags for it so it can be used for mini-rifle too which would help sales. Could be tempted as a replacement for my MARS if the lower will take fullbore straight pull uppers....
DVC
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#10 Post by kennyc »

Alan D wrote:
kennyc wrote:love the WMR as a vermin round, a bit pricey for target use IMHO compared to 22LR, on another point, why bother with a forward assist? if its to reseat the bolt because its been unlocked then thats what the cutout in the bolt is for, bolt hold open is far more useful, but as has been said in the past "why would I want to beat something into a chamber that didn't want to go in in the first place"
Why bother with a forward assist ... Well because the parent rifle has one.

Why bother with the caliber? Well you can shoot semi auto accurately out to 200 yds, haven't done that in the UK since they took my semi auto center fires away in 88.
I have a bolt action WMR I shoot regularly with someone with both bolt action and semi auto WMR, and unless you are talking about man sized targets, they are not accurate to 200 yds! they are very effective vermin rounds and good to around 110yrds for the semi auto and 130 yds for the bolts, after that wind and dispersion open the groups out to larger than bunny sized (obviously this is subjective and YMMV )
and the original parent rifle didn't have forward assist ;)