Guncraft .22 WMR AR

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

webb22

Re: Guncraft .22 WMR AR

#31 Post by webb22 »

Alan D wrote:Didn't Ruger also try to develop the 10/22 in .17HMR at one time but eventually give up after encountering problems?
Not that it makes any difference to us if they had been successful because it would take a change in the law to allow a semi-auto in anything other than .22 rimfire in the U.K.
Yep, self contained bolt designs don't lend themselves well to the considerably higher chamber pressure of WMR.

The 'Keep it simple stupid' rule applies, simple reciprocating bolt with buffer....[/quote]

Well I have the 10/22 WMR and it works just fine and is very accurate. Volquartsen have developed the HMR version and that seems to have been well received (also magnum research IIRC). I have the Fusion rifle that is chambered in WMR, but Stateside, you can get the HMR barrel also, so you can swap between the cals very easily (just insert the chambered barrel and the mags are the same). Again, the WMR version works brilliantly and is equally, if not more accurate than the 10/22 Magnum, because of the tensioned barrel (and it keeps the temp down also). Ruger only made a short run of the 10/22 Magnums due to the costs of production i.e. the bolt is heavier and action is longer than the standard rimfire rifle. Dont believe all the negative chatter on forums about them 8-) the are very sort after Stateside for a reason! bangbang
'Windage & Elevation Miss. Langdon - Windage & Elevation!'
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#32 Post by TattooedGun »

Sim G wrote: Back to the WMR AR. Did anyone who was planning large scale manufacture ever get one to run reliably? I thought that was why Bill Alexander binned the idea?
Judging by what I've seen of a certain "crap magnet" posting in various groups on farcebook, whom bought one of the first Guncraft models, no, they're still not reliable.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#33 Post by Blackstuff »

TattooedGun wrote:
Sim G wrote: Back to the WMR AR. Did anyone who was planning large scale manufacture ever get one to run reliably? I thought that was why Bill Alexander binned the idea?
Judging by what I've seen of a certain "crap magnet" posting in various groups on farcebook, whom bought one of the first Guncraft models, no, they're still not reliable.
Yep, that's put me right off. Given there has been no update in the last week or so i'm guessing there's a serious problem with them.

With that being the case I was then leaning more towards a CMR 30, however after watching a lot of videos on them the mag catch is on the heel of the pistol grip with is not good for practical shooting and there seems to a polarised opinion on the reliability of the magazines, half the videos say they're 'flawless' and the rest say they jam every other round :bad:
DVC
Sim G
Past Supporter

#34 Post by Sim G »

Do be worried by heel mag releases in Practical, Mark. I ran a P38 in the pistol days for fun. Mag changes can be very quick. Not as quick with a thumb release at the trigger guard junction, but still workable.

Grab magazine with the little and ring finger from the mag pouch so it sticks out of the bottom of your hand, like a dagger for overhand stabbing. Position the mags in the pouch so when grabbed, bullets point away from you. Drop the weapon to mod waist height and twist it so the mag well turns in towards the loading hand. Using the thumb, fore and middle finger of the loading hand rip the mag from the weapon and drop it. Twist loading hand 180 degrees and feed the mag into the well. Drive it home with the heel of the loading hand. Simples!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#35 Post by breacher »

Ovenpaa wrote:Well you could always reload your own to keep the ammunition costs down and it should not be a problem as long as you time the cases correctly when loading the magazine. I do wonder what would happen if someone was to introduce a .22 Rifle-fire with something like Remjet or more suitably the Hornet dimensions, as a rim-fire .22 it would, in theory at least, still be UK S/A legal.
Interesting - does the legislation refer to .22LR or .22RF ?

I cannot remember.

Either way, I am sure they would quickly amend it if pokier rimfire cartridges started appearing - especially in "assault rifle" ............
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Hunter87

#36 Post by Hunter87 »

They cost £1,650 lol