Guncraft .22 WMR AR

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: Guncraft .22 WMR AR

#11 Post by kennyc »

safetyfirst wrote:
kennyc wrote:, why bother with a forward assist? if its to reseat the bolt because its been unlocked then thats what the cutout in the bolt is for,
That cutout also runs the dust cover latching system....
multiple uses shows good design
Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

#12 Post by Alan D »

Ovenpaa wrote:Well you could always reload your own to keep the ammunition costs down and it should not be a problem as long as you time the cases correctly when loading the magazine. I do wonder what would happen if someone was to introduce a .22 Rifle-fire with something like Remjet or more suitably the Hornet dimensions, as a rim-fire .22 it would, in theory at least, still be UK S/A legal.
One of the things that slightly concerns me about the real commercial push towards WMR AR's, is putting them on the 'radar'.

These days I only shoot paper targets, having hung up my hunting gear a few years ago, so rabbit clean kill ranges arn't of relevance to me anymore.

I agree with the comments, that taking a black rifle out into the county side to bash bunnies is probably a bad idea in this day and age anyway.

Interesting comments regarding .22WMR accuracy or lack of) at 200 yds.

My Tippmenn AR is quite capable of consistent 6-8" groups at 200 yds,with mini mags on a still ish day.

So I would expect WMR to be able to significantly improve on this.

Am I being unrealistic?
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#13 Post by kennyc »

Alan D wrote:
Ovenpaa wrote:Well you could always reload your own to keep the ammunition costs down and it should not be a problem as long as you time the cases correctly when loading the magazine. I do wonder what would happen if someone was to introduce a .22 Rifle-fire with something like Remjet or more suitably the Hornet dimensions, as a rim-fire .22 it would, in theory at least, still be UK S/A legal.
One of the things that slightly concerns me about the real commercial push towards WMR AR's, is putting them on the 'radar'.

These days I only shoot paper targets, having hung up my hunting gear a few years ago, so rabbit clean kill ranges arn't of relevance to me anymore.

I agree with the comments, that taking a black rifle out into the county side to bash bunnies is probably a bad idea in this day and age anyway.

Interesting comments regarding .22WMR accuracy or lack of) at 200 yds.

My Tippmenn AR is quite capable of consistent 6-8" groups at 200 yds,with mini mags on a still ish day.

So I would expect WMR to be able to significantly improve on this.

Am I being unrealistic?
from experience possibly, however I'm looking for considerably smaller groups at that range to keep on the bunny (although one of the beauties pf the WMR is the amount of damage it does tends to lead to clean kills, even if the carcass is unusable, 22LR can tend to pencil through and leave mobile wounded rabbits which is not ideal)
and for useable rabbits we tend to head shoot with the WMR which calls for quite a tight grouping
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#14 Post by Airbrush »

It needs a M-Lok fore end, keylock is old news.
Gazza

#15 Post by Gazza »

This would be nice in 17HMR also :good:
Only trouble is a mag dump would cost you over 8 quid lol
Airbrush

#16 Post by Airbrush »

Gazza wrote:This would be nice in 17HMR also :good:
The Yanks made one, didn’t take off, too unreliable.
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#17 Post by Sixshot6 »

Airbrush wrote:
you mean the remington semi auto or the one Alexander arms made? Oddly I've seen one that was made reliable by a guy in california that he made run as a full blown DI.... he was also supposed to be getting a 22wmr version going, even got in contact but life took over. Also there is 17wsm ar Franklin armory made. garrow firearms is the californian guy but since he's one man band it will be a while.....
Airbrush

#18 Post by Airbrush »

Sixshot6 wrote:
Airbrush wrote:
you mean the remington semi auto or the one Alexander arms made? Oddly I've seen one that was made reliable by a guy in california that he made run as a full blown DI.... he was also supposed to be getting a 22wmr version going, even got in contact but life took over. Also there is 17wsm ar Franklin armory made. garrow firearms is the californian guy but since he's one man band it will be a while.....
Yeah Alexander Arms was the one I knew of.
Sixshot6
Home club or Range: Mattersey

#19 Post by Sixshot6 »

Airbrush wrote:
Sixshot6 wrote:
Airbrush wrote:

Yeah Alexander Arms was the one I knew of.
ray Brandes did one but he had such demand for the 22 wmr he had to drop it, also back to Garrows yeah he fixed and at some point he might do a 22wmr version https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmXSljGtX_4
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#20 Post by safetyfirst »

what would happen is we’d lose semi auto.