MP 15-22

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

RJ156

Re: MP 15-22

#21 Post by RJ156 »

Good to hear these are actually half decent as it was on my shopping list to fill a .22 slot

The issues with the Pins “walking” out been solved on the new versions now?
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#22 Post by DaveB »

I love mine. I replaced the one-piece stock with an adjustable butt stock and pistol grip, and somehow in the process, like a dummy, I lost the detent for the safety catch. Now it no longer 'clicks' and I have to get another one and try not to screw it up this time. never had that issue with a 'real' AR15. Seems that tighter fit of the pistol grip and that second spring to held in place while trying to assemble it, are just too much for my ham fists to juggle.
BamBam

#23 Post by BamBam »

I sold mine, got £400 for it.

Ask me what I did with the money?
RJ156

#24 Post by RJ156 »

BamBam wrote:I sold mine, got £400 for it.

What did you do? Buy another?
Webley
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#25 Post by Webley »

RJ156 wrote:

My money would be on him putting it towards something from Texas.

Has anyone tried the mag extensions from magload? It takes the mp15-22 mag up to 31 rounds.

Matt
Sim G
Past Supporter

#26 Post by Sim G »

Webley wrote:
RJ156 wrote:

Has anyone tried the mag extensions from magload? It takes the mp15-22 mag up to 31 rounds.

Matt

I’m hoping he went down the booze and hookers route! What happens in Texas, stays in Texas....

I’m a massive proponent of the M&P. Had mine over five years and put at least 30000 rounds through it. I sold mine to a bloke in the club and bought a Spikes. I was bitten by the “something shiny” bug. The guy in the club then sold on my M&P via GT unbeknown to me. If I had have known, I would have bought it straight back!!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#27 Post by Blackstuff »

Webley wrote:
RJ156 wrote:

Matt
I put them on 3 of my mags yesterday and i'm hoping to get to the range this afternoon to test them (and the 30 degree safety) before a big comp on Sunday. Changing a load of stuff on your competition gun right before a match is a good idea right? 5mith lol
DVC
BamBam

#28 Post by BamBam »

RJ156 wrote:

That would be my third then.
Webley wrote:
Already have 2 Texas rifles. Looking for something shiny with a big loop lever and in a proper pistol calibre for gallery shooting.
Sim G wrote:
I’m hoping he went down the booze and hookers route! What happens in Texas, stays in Texas....
Booze is OK in Texas, hookers are verboten.

My first AR style .22 was a 15-22 that I bought 2nd hand when they were quite new to the market and still being derided as plastic guns.
I classed it at the time as the "gateway AR" as after that I was hooked and like Sim wanted something a bit more proper.
So sold the 15-22 on to someone who is still enjoying it I believe.
Hooked a 16" barrel CMMG 2nd hand it shot better groups, but the CMMG Bolt Hold Open was something that I wasn't enjoying.
Paul at Lantac got it working and it was OK after that, but the mags let it down and wouldn't load to full capacity.
Gen 1 mags would load to 22rds and worked OK, no proper last round hold open, but the Gen II Evo mags were a constant source of problems.
The Gen III mags were not an improvement. testament to this is that CMMG only sell a black version of the Gen I mag for .22 rifles and conversions.

On a whim I ordered a 12" 15-22 from Riflecraft with the Hardy reflex mod and had many years of happy shooting after adding a few go faster parts.
However the 15-22 is not a happy rifle for the serial tinkerer, the grip thread is notorious for stripping and the receiver can split where the grip attaches, as it has on a mate's rifle.
Before any problems presented themselves with mine I decided to flog it and let someone else enjoy it.

Plus, lets be honest, my new 12" Texas rifle is fuggin' epic, although for reliability it uses M&P 15-22 mags lol