Chamber adapter inserts

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

DL.

Chamber adapter inserts

#1 Post by DL. »

Has anyone used these?

I appreciate they have very limited range reducing a c/f or shotgun to .22LR and may only be viable to 10 meters, but thought this might be a very handy solution for dispatching livestock when otherwise intending to go out stalking.

The FLO advised against taking two rifles out stalking after someone had a rifle stolen from their car a number of years ago.
Chapuis

Re: Chamber adapter inserts

#2 Post by Chapuis »

I had one that allowed me to shoot .22lr through my .222rem. Group accuracy at 25yards was around the 2" mark and it was a right fiddle to chamber in a bolt action rifle but would probably work quite well in a break action rifle.

I'm on the look out for one that will allow me to shoot .32S&W long or .32 H&R magnum through my 8mm rifle for the very same reasons that you state but can't find one, and Lothar Walther who made them at one time have discontinued these particular adapters in the chambering that I want (8x57irs). I understood that they were quite popular in Germany at one time but enquiries over there suggest otherwise.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#3 Post by kennyc »

A friend and I take up to 6 rifles/shotguns out between us when controlling pests, if we are expecting to do a lot of walking we limit it to 2 each and keep one in a slip over a shoulder (They all have slings bit a slip makes you look less like Rambo) if we are purely stalking then it's one a price as we are unlikely to want to disturb the deer and a .308 will sort a fox as well as a deer
JohnASmith97
Home club or Range: Southampton University

#4 Post by JohnASmith97 »

Chris of CG Firearms makes adaptors to allow shooting 32ACP (I think) in full sized .30 calibre rifles, he might be able to do something similar for other combinations
DL.

#5 Post by DL. »

Lothar Walther was the only place I had seen them too. Off the top of my head I think the price point was about £80 when they still produced them.
Chapuis

#6 Post by Chapuis »

JohnASmith97 wrote:Chris of CG Firearms makes adaptors to allow shooting 32ACP (I think) in full sized .30 calibre rifles, he might be able to do something similar for other combinations
I spoken to Chris (a nice chap) and the adapters that he produces for .30 calibre he sells for around £50. Unfortunately the adapter that I am seeking would have to be custom made and would cost a fair bit more.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#7 Post by Dellboy »

if an adaptor had a rifled barrel section or even say a 5 inch smooth bore barrel would it be sec 1 or 5 ?
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

if it had any sort of barrel, I would expect it to be sec5 as it is shorter than 12"
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
DL.

#9 Post by DL. »

This thread suggests the adaptors aren't classed as firearms, which implies a bit of common sense for once in firearms legislation.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threa ... ms.291915/
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#10 Post by bradaz11 »

DL. wrote:This thread suggests the adaptors aren't classed as firearms, which implies a bit of common sense for once in firearms legislation.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threa ... ms.291915/
yeah, but if you stick barrel on the end, is it a chamber insert, or a chamber shaped chambered barrel less than 12"?

a normal adapter is no different to those guage blocks you can buy for checking ammo, except you can pop it in a gun and fire a round within it.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns