Tippmann Arms M4-22

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

Re: Tippmann Arms M4-22

#31 Post by Alan D »

Hi all,

New member here...

I have been a shooter for many years, mainly fullbore, but rimfire also.

Regarding 7792's comments above, the Tippmann uses a remarkably simple and robust bolt group (similar to the full bore AR bolt carrier) that reciprocates with the buffer, as per the fullbore rifle.

You get a 'slight twang' as you do with the fullbore semi automatic AR15.

I bought an M4-22 when they first appeared in the UK from Shooting Supplies and I am very impressed indeed.

Having previously owned both Spikes and CMMG M4 clones over the years, the Tippmenn has proven to be, well made, extremely reliable and accurate.

It has a light trigger (3lb) out of the box, full working controls, including bolt hold open, very robust steel lipped magazines and accuracy that's proved to be better than both my previous AR's with no fettering what so ever.

The lower won't fit on a full bore straight pull, I won't be loosing sleep over that one....

In short, its a bloody good rifle, try one for size.

#32 Post by 7792 »

Welcome mate!

Good to see I’m not *completely* full of c**p!

I admit the ‘twang’ on the fullbore (and full auto!) M16 took me by surprise as I’d only fired the SA80 until that point. The thing that appeals to me about the Tippmann though is how they’ve tried to make it a true M4 clone.
Alan D

#33 Post by Alan D »

Morning,

There does seem to be a huge amount of choice out there, that's always good.

I've had mine since February last year and am very impressed so far, as I said, faultless function, light trigger and more accurate than I am these days.

They have certainly followed the full bore rifle in function
(As far as a rimfire can).

I'm not that fussed on the butt, but that (and the usual suspects, forend, pistol grip, sight block etc) can be swapped out easily for any of the many available aftermarket parts, as you go.

#34 Post by 7792 »

Which version did you go for?

I'm as much about looks as I am function so I am leaning towards the classic with the M4 profile barrel (but switching out the quadrail for a metal one and adding a front sight post).

Anyone got an opinion whether the nickel bolt is a worthwhile upgrade over the standard? Can it be added to the classic as an option anyone know?
Alan D

#35 Post by Alan D »

I bought the original M4 'ish' spec example.

The great thing about the basic AR M4 platform is that you can change it about and make it what you want, movable feast...

I think the nickel bolt group is current production spec for all variants. Mine is the original flat Parkerised and I've never had any issues with mine.

Spikes, CMMG, Lantec and others basically all use the same self contained bolt design, improved over the years, but still subject to feed and jamming issues, as both mine used too.

#36 Post by 7792 »

Alan D wrote:I think the nickel bolt group is current production spec for all variants.
Really? I thought it was only available on the Pro and Elite versions. Think I'll give Shooting Supplies a call and check as it would be good if it was, though the standard bolt I am sure would be fine.
Alan D

#37 Post by Alan D »

I've never had the slightest bit of trouble with mine and that's using the original bolt group, kept clean and lubricated, it will run faultlessly.