Eley Action

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

Re: Eley Action

#51 Post by Triffid »

If you look back at the top of this thread, Thorney did a lot of testing of .22 ammo in 15-22's at his ranges in Silverstone.

He found two brands that came way on top of anything else - Geco Semi-auto and RWS Semi-auto. He suggested that they might actually be the same stuff, coming out of the same factory and behaving impeccably.

The NSRA is selling the Geco at £65/1000, so that's where I'm heading next. Just got to fire off the remaining brick of Ely Craption!

Triffid
CraigH
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Mayfair Sunderland

#52 Post by CraigH »

Phoenix Range (Barnsley) selling Geco for £2.44/box of 50

https://www.phoenixrange.co.uk/product- ... ammunition
TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

#53 Post by TattooedGun »

CraigH wrote:Phoenix Range (Barnsley) selling Geco for £2.44/box of 50

https://www.phoenixrange.co.uk/product- ... ammunition
That's some cheap canned bangs! :o
BamBam

#54 Post by BamBam »

The Geco is just European Thunderbolt... Filthy stuff.

I get CCI Std for £66/1000.
kevinww

#55 Post by kevinww »

I suspect Eley have changed something in the primer compound or process they are using to prime cases, as
I've had a few fail to fires in my target rifle using 2 different batches of 2019 dated Tenex all subsequently fired when struck in an alternate point on the rim.

I've had no issues on 2017/18 dated batches of Tenex and Match.
RDC

#56 Post by RDC »

kevinww wrote:I suspect Eley have changed something in the primer compound or process they are using to prime cases, as
I've had a few fail to fires in my target rifle using 2 different batches of 2019 dated Tenex all subsequently fired when struck in an alternate point on the rim.

I've had no issues on 2017/18 dated batches of Tenex and Match.

I wonder if REACH has forced a change?
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#57 Post by FredB »

All very interesting. The priming sytem used by Eley was developed by them and is licensed to most of their competitors. The priming powder is inert when added to the case, which is then spun to move the powder into the rim. A single drop of water is then added and it is this which activates the priming compound.
SOunds like something went wrong with the spinner mechanism.
Fred
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#58 Post by JSC »

We were discussing this on Saturday at Stourport. I reckon every .22 brand has suffered at some point from a bad batch.

I had it with a batch of RWS a few years ago. every now and then one would go "phut".
Some have had other problems with Eley, some with CCI.

Over the years I've used various types of RWS, Geco, Eley, SK, Winchester, Federal, CCI and some I can't remember. None have been perfect all the time.

Apart from ignition, the wax coating can vary a lot with some ammo which causes other reliability problems, especially when the weather gets cold.
Wax can be deposited in the chamber or just under the rim of the cartridge and that in itself can cause what some think is a 'light strike'.

So I just tend to stick with whatever is working well right now and try and make sure I've got a reliable supply of it.
Right now it's Eley Force but I know that doesn't work for everyone and for the record I have had one out of battery detonation with 1 of them, but that was 1 out of several thousand shot since it first came out.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#59 Post by Sim G »

RDC wrote: I wonder if REACH has forced a change?
There’s a thought....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#60 Post by Blackstuff »

Quite shocking considering the guy in charge of Eley is a keen (and very good) shooter himself and will no doubt be using his own stuff!

Have people getting more than a couple per hundred reported the batch numbers to Eley?
DVC