Eley Action

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Eley Action

#41 Post by bradaz11 »

I've gone thru around 2 bricks so far, and I can count the number of ftf on one hand.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#42 Post by Mattnall »

When you pull the bullet and empty the powder can you see the priming compound and does it go all the way round the rim?

I had a few similar misfires with a different make (a budget brand) and the priming compound was missing on some and only part way round on others. There may have been more similar rounds but if the rim is struck at the right spot then we'd never have know.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
RDC

#43 Post by RDC »

Mattnall wrote:When you pull the bullet and empty the powder can you see the priming compound and does it go all the way round the rim?

I had a few similar misfires with a different make (a budget brand) and the priming compound was missing on some and only part way round on others. There may have been more similar rounds but if the rim is struck at the right spot then we'd never have know.
After we had put them to one side that night, I put them all through again and all went bang the second time. I suspect you are right that the primer compound won't be evenly spread all the way around the rim.

I want this ammo to do well. Accuracy in my CZ452 at 50m was decent, and I want something softer but just as reliable than minimag for minirifle.
BamBam

#44 Post by BamBam »

RDC wrote:Has anyone had any issues with struck primers failing to bang?

We got some Action for the club in order to test them out with a view to move to a UK manufacturer for the bulk of club ammo. We currently use CCI minimag as the bulk of ammo (with Eley Match and Tenex for precision shooters). Trying to convince some that you don't need high velocity for 25m, and you definitely don't need it for 100m is half the battle.

Anyway, I've been encouraging people to try the Action and on a recent mini rifle night, we had several failures to fire, despite strong firing pin imprints on the rim of the failed cartridges. This has occurred across three different semi auto rifles so far, with it appearing to be once a mag at the moment.

We have by no means worked our way through the brick, however it's a bit disheartening so far to see it fail when there has been so much positive feedback from other practical shooters. It's been hard enough to convince some that we should give it a try, and now they negative attitude towards it has been reaffirmed for them by these failures.
I bought a 1000 after a successful test of 100 and they were rubbish, FTF at least once a mag, since gone back to CCI Standard.
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#45 Post by Triffid »

We tried a couple of thousand Eley Action for our Club ammo, including for a guest night when all the members brought in their .22 semi's. So it's been shot through a number of different guns, mostly 10-22 or 15-22's.
I've been disappointed by the number of fail-to-fire misfires and won't be buying it again.

Triffid
BamBam

#46 Post by BamBam »

What bugs me is the 100 I was given free to test were 100% reliable and even cycled the slide on my K22 LBP. The 1000 I bought wouldn't cycle the K22 slide reliably.
At a local club steels comp I had 5 out of 40 that failed to ignite and they didn't work on a 2nd attempt either. ****
Sim G
Past Supporter

#47 Post by Sim G »

I started this thread as Eley Action was very promising. I bought a couple of batches of 5000 for the club and a couple of separate purchases for me of a 1000 at a time. Reliability is exactly as some of you have also discovered, it’s fallen off a cliff! Accuracy still seems good but you need the stuff to go bang first!

I’ve already stopped buying it for the club and I’ve a box or two left myself which will probably sit in my cabinet now.

Something happened to it....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#48 Post by Gh0st »

Has anyone tried the new Action Plus they were pushing it at the Eley Speed steels?

fun fact, I ran out of SK Match for my Ruger at the speed steels (long story short, my ticket is in for variation and I thought I had enough in stock but didn't check). Had to resort to Eley. First string jammed my Ruger, wiped out that run, next one had two light strikes cost me 13 seconds as the cases wouldn't eject that cost me 14 places in Minirifle! thanks...
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#49 Post by Mattnall »

SK Standard+ is excellent ammunition and the Match, so I'm told, is better still for accuracy. The prices are very reasonable (especially for the Match) and although not advertised as such the Std+ is just subsonic when a moderator is fitted. It cycles everything we put it through except the PPS50 which required something a bit puncher.

I stopped buying Eley when the cases stated blowing out the back on my Enfield, non of the other brands I've tried have done that.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#50 Post by Gh0st »

Mattnall wrote:SK Standard+ is excellent ammunition and the Match, so I'm told, is better still for accuracy. The prices are very reasonable (especially for the Match) and although not advertised as such the Std+ is just subsonic when a moderator is fitted. It cycles everything we put it through except the PPS50 which required something a bit puncher.

I stopped buying Eley when the cases stated blowing out the back on my Enfield, non of the other brands I've tried have done that.
SK is the only thing I ever use in my Ruger. Mainly as it's my gallery gun but for the purposes of the speed steels match i took the scope off and put a red dot on. Obviously it was my own fault for not taking enough ammo for it but still annoyed that Eley doesn't work in a .22 semi-auto.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk