New Cadet rifle .. that replaced the No 8

All things rimfire including target, benchrest, hunters, semi autos and plinkers.

Moderator: dromia

EagerNoSkill

New Cadet rifle .. that replaced the No 8

#1 Post by EagerNoSkill »

So the MOD has replaced the No 8 with a new rifle designated…L144A1
This was based on this requirement"

"Rfles. Number 8 Rifle Repalcement (N8RR), the UK MOD has a requirement to replace the current in-service Number 8 Rifle due to obsolescence.

The rifle must meet but are not limited to the following Key System Requirements (KSRs):
The system shall be able to fire the following current, in-service .22in Long Rifle (.22LR) rimfire cartridges: ‘Round .22 inch ball’ L5A2 (ADAC – 10501-02) and ‘Round .22 inch ball Tenex Ultimate’ L9A1 (ADAC – 10502-02)
The system shall not be able to accept a magazine of any type.
The system shall be based around a manually fed, bolt action rifle that is designed to be fired from the right shoulder.
The system shall have a manual safety catch that is separate from the bolt and trigger action.
6.The system shall be suitable for firing from the following positions: Prone
The system shall have a discrete, civilian appearance.
The weapon system shall have a modular iron sight sub-system that offers ‘Basic’ and ‘Advanced’ capability.
The system’s peak instantaneous (C weighted) noise level at the firer’s ear shall not exceed 135dBC during firing.
The system shall not be adversely affected when dropped from height in accordance with DEFSTAN 07-85, Part 4, Issue 1, Para 8.14, Para 10.4 (Drop Test).
The system shall pass a DOSG Design Safety Assessment.
It is expected the MoD will purchase 10,000 replacement weapons at a cost of approximately £6m

Well i was trained, handled and shot the “replacement 144A1” yesterday.

The key question is where has the freaking common sense and accountability gone?

We are lumbering the ATC systems, staff and volunteers with a piece of equipment that frankly not fit for purpose and wont last. That will distract, embarrass, irritate and break.

Shake my head… so much knowledge exists, so much goodwill … yet the nameless faceless “powers that be” can impose total crap.
Yet we must shut up or when we dare raise an opinion… well its not hows it is done or whatever crap excuse.
I shake my head!
Attachments
The new rifle .. by savage
The new rifle .. by savage
L144A1.jpg (3.62 KiB) Viewed 3271 times
European 2012 FTR Champion (November 2012 I had +- 112 very lucky shots in a row)
“F-Open shooters are compensating for something”
I make an awesome friend and even worse enemy.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: New Cadet rifle .. that replaced the No 8

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

I had my hands on one quite recently and it was certainly not as robust as I had expected, I hope to shoot one in the next couple of weeks so maybe I will take a more positive view on it then.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#3 Post by Triffid »

I'm just wondering where the 10,000 No 8's are going . . .
Triffid
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#4 Post by Mattnall »

scrap.

I tried talking to the QMs for the local Coy/County/Brigade but no one wants to make a decision on saving them even for cash.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
cthulhu3
Home club or Range: settle rifle club yorkshire

#5 Post by cthulhu3 »

i haven't seen one and I am unlikely too anytime soon.

I take it that it feels light weight and the quality of the metal used for the receiver is poor?

has to be said the No8 is fantastic and over engineered. I love em! So it must be hard to compare it to such a wonderful thing.

How does it measure up to lets say a CZ 455 for instance, a rifle made to fit a budget but also one that's likely to last well?

Is anyone able to do that kind of comparison or review?

Cheerho
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#6 Post by Mattnall »

The No8 as a training rifle to replicate the No4 it was great for adults but as a starter rifle for kids from the age of 12 it was totally wrong. It was way too heavy and the dimensions were too long. A good commercial bolt gun like the CZ or even the MagTech would have been better.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
cthulhu3
Home club or Range: settle rifle club yorkshire

#7 Post by cthulhu3 »

Sorry i meant to say
How does the new L144a1 measure up to lets say a CZ 455 for instance, a rifle made to fit a budget but also one that's likely to last well?
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

Forgive my ignorance but what is the actual purpose of this rifle? Is it literally just to teach the basics of marksmanship?

I would've though a .22lr SA80 A3 would give the same and a more natural progression to cadets going into the full services wtf
DVC
waterford103
Site Supporter Since 2018
Home club or Range: Aberdeen FBGC

#9 Post by waterford103 »

Triffid wrote:I'm just wondering where the 10,000 No 8's are going . . .
Triffid
Yes they can put me down for one , first "proper " rifle that I shot at the cadets.
"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#10 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Even the British Government can’t be so daft as to not check the prices that No.8s are going for now? Can they? Surely?

Oh wait. It’s the British Government.

Can you imagine the pant-wetting and hysterical screeching in Parliament if someone were to suggest a Civilian Marksmanship Programme for the surplus... :)