A & A Gunsmiths

Had a good experience with a gun shop or rifle maker? Found a good deal? Tell us about it. Had a bad experience, TELL THE GUN SHOP!

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Posting of negative comments in the Gunshop section could bring unwanted criticism on the forum, having said that it is important to let members know if dealings with a Gunshop were less than ideal for you. To that end we will allow what will be known as the 'Scotsgun Ruling'

The Scotsgun Ruling:

>Add Gun Shop here<

"As I've yet to have a 'positive' experience there, I'll refrain from commenting further."

Beyond that please take it up with the Gunshop, if you do resolve the issue in a agreeable manner let us know!

This rule applies to the entire forum.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

A & A Gunsmiths

#1 Post by Geek »

Dear all,

Any thoughts on this company (http://www.aandagunsmiths.co.uk)? I am looking to have some work done (smoothing the action, new lifter, trigger, etc.) on my Marlin 1894.

I looked at their work at the Northern Shooting Show and the example they had on their stand seemed very good.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: A & A Gunsmiths

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

they know their way around them very well. I have no issue with the cowboy guns I have from them.

Marlin's shouldn't have soft screw heads, and those being rounded slightly is my only complaint with their work
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Geek

#3 Post by Geek »

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. My rifle was purchased new about 5 years ago (has a new upgrades - firing pin, action spring, sights, etc.). However, at the range over the weekend I suffered "a Marlin jam", so thought that I may as well have a little more upgrade work done.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by bnz41 »

I have recently bought from him a Uberti Cattleman ML in .44 he slicked up the trigger for me which has made a big improvement.

His workshop area is untidy and he can get distracted by the grand children but his workmanship is excellent.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#5 Post by GeeRam »

Myself and two other club members sent our 3 rifles up to them back in the spring, after talking to them at the NEC Shooting Show.

Verbally at the show we were told approx price for the work, and I then entered into an email correspondance with Alan regarding what work to be done to the 3 rifles (a 1873 Uberti, a Rossi 92 and a Marlin) and got price quotes via email for the work to each.

The local RFD which all 3 of us used volunteered to dispatch all 3 of our rifles for us as they were interested in how the work, as they had other lever action customers that often asked whether they knew anyone about that did such work.

This was all agreed by email with A&A and the 3 rifles sent off, and eventually came back.........but they charged us all double what they had quoted!! Our RFD took them to task, and we got a bit of the bill, but, it certainley left a bad taste......

The work done was excellent, can't fault that at all, but, as far as their business admin and practices go..... **** ..... tread carefully is all I can say.
Geek

#6 Post by Geek »

GeeRam wrote:Myself and two other club members sent our 3 rifles up to them back in the spring, after talking to them at the NEC Shooting Show.

Verbally at the show we were told approx price for the work, and I then entered into an email correspondance with Alan regarding what work to be done to the 3 rifles (a 1873 Uberti, a Rossi 92 and a Marlin) and got price quotes via email for the work to each.

The local RFD which all 3 of us used volunteered to dispatch all 3 of our rifles for us as they were interested in how the work, as they had other lever action customers that often asked whether they knew anyone about that did such work.

This was all agreed by email with A&A and the 3 rifles sent off, and eventually came back.........but they charged us all double what they had quoted!! Our RFD took them to task, and we got a bit of the bill, but, it certainley left a bad taste......

The work done was excellent, can't fault that at all, but, as far as their business admin and practices go..... **** ..... tread carefully is all I can say.
I have been quoted £280 for slicked action, new trigger and new lifter (carrier assembly) - seemed reasonable to me.
Regards,

Geek

Sim G
Past Supporter

#7 Post by Sim G »

You do not need a new carrier to solve the “Marlin Jam”. A small diamond file and some emory paper. 15 minutes watching YouTube and half hour to do the job.

Likewise you could buy a stainless custom carrier for a 100 quid and fit it yourself in 10 minutes and round off the edge of the snail cam. A Wild West Guns trigger kit is 140 quid. Custom parts and saved yourself 40 quid and shipping.

I’ve also been told of the same experiences as above. Great work, shocking price structure!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Geek

#8 Post by Geek »

I went today, all as agreed (price quoted for trigger was incorrect should have been £140 [initially said £100, but checked on website, anyone can make a mistake if asked over the phone]) - I am very pleased with work done (also bought spare parts) and I would have no hesitation in having further work done or purchasing a firearm.
Regards,

Geek