Gun cabinet, stacking

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

lovemunkey187
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts & Phoenix Range

Gun cabinet, stacking

#1 Post by lovemunkey187 »

I have got a Brattonsound SL9 cabinet, that will be getting fitted within the next two weeks, but before I do, I was wondering if it would be ok to buy a Brattonsound PD7 for use as an ammunition store and then bolt the SL9 on top and then secure the whole lot to the wall.
Or would the SL9 be too heavy and cause the PD7 to deform?
Hey, dawg. Didya see the size of that chicken?
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Gun cabinet, stacking

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

why would you want to put the rifles on top, you'll be scrabbling round on the floor each time you want to use it. just put it on top. nothing to stop you bolting them together if you're worried

but you'll also be surprised how much ammo you'll fit in the locked cabinet inside
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

You could put them on top of each other if you want the Brattonsound cabinets are quite sturdy and you are going to Raw bolt them to the wall so they are not going to go any were. I have a double pistol cabinet left over from my handgun shooting days before the ban. I use the bottom one for ammunition and the Wife uses the top one as a safe. The two cabinets have separate keys.
lovemunkey187

#4 Post by lovemunkey187 »

bradaz11 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:20 pm why would you want to put the rifles on top, you'll be scrabbling round on the floor each time you want to use it. just put it on top. nothing to stop you bolting them together if you're worried

but you'll also be surprised how much ammo you'll fit in the locked cabinet inside
Something so basic, I hadn't considered about the ammo being on the floor wallhead

I was wanting to future proof myself a little. Assuming I get the go ahead for the calibres I put on my application (.303 .22lr .357/.38 12g) I wanted to make sure there was no question that I could safely store all I was asking for.
lovemunkey187

#5 Post by lovemunkey187 »

Alpha1 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:16 am You could put them on top of each other if you want the Brattonsound cabinets are quite sturdy and you are going to Raw bolt them to the wall so they are not going to go any were. I have a double pistol cabinet left over from my handgun shooting days before the ban. I use the bottom one for ammunition and the Wife uses the top one as a safe. The two cabinets have separate keys.
I am going to bolt everything to the wall.

I assumed that the PD7 would be as sturdy. But as the SL9 is a somewhat weighty beast(nevermind the addition of half a dozen firearms).
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

you don't have to be able to safely store all you are asking for across multiple calibers, if one caliber, then yes, but if you get 700 of each, then you only need to be able to store 700 rounds of one, plus some of the others. it is then up to you to not possess more than you can safely secure at once. by 12g I assume you mean slug, as you do not need to secure standard shotgun cartridges, only sec1 shotgun ammo.

I have 15 (at least) calibers on my license, all but 3 of them are for 700 rnds. I have more 9mm and 22, and 200 slug. that comes in at something like 12k rounds of ammo.

ammo is heavy, and it's good to get it where you can see it. the cabinets will more than handle it, in fact, once loaded up with lead, the pd7 may in fact be heavier than 3 rifles.
lovemunkey187

#7 Post by lovemunkey187 »

bradaz11 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:41 am you don't have to be able to safely store all you are asking for across multiple calibers, if one caliber, then yes, but if you get 700 of each, then you only need to be able to store 700 rounds of one, plus some of the others. it is then up to you to not possess more than you can safely secure at once. by 12g I assume you mean slug, as you do not need to secure standard shotgun cartridges, only sec1 shotgun ammo.

I have 15 (at least) calibers on my license, all but 3 of them are for 700 rnds. I have more 9mm and 22, and 200 slug. that comes in at something like 12k rounds of ammo.

ammo is heavy, and it's good to get it where you can see it. the cabinets will more than handle it, in fact, once loaded up with lead, the pd7 may in fact be heavier than 3 rifles.
Let me check my understanding.
On my application I have asked for
.22lr x 2000
.303 x 500
.357 x 300
.38 x 300

So as long as I can show that I can securely store 2000+100+100+100 - then that should be satisfactory? Or am I being dense?

When I said 12g, I meant birdshot etc. Doesn't that have stored away from the actual guns?
Or is it just slug ammo, as that is for the S1 shotgun?
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

lovemunkey187 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:10 am
.22lr x 2000
.303 x 500
.357 x 300
.38 x 300

So as long as I can show that I can securely store 2000+100+100+100 - then that should be satisfactory? Or am I being dense?

When I said 12g, I meant birdshot etc. Doesn't that have stored away from the actual guns?
Or is it just slug ammo, as that is for the S1 shotgun?
yep. I'd say ask for 500 rounds of 38/357, if you ask for them both separately, you'll likely get only 300 of them combined. and then if you prefer mag over spl, or do a reloading run, you can do whichever you like.

you'll need to be able to store the biggest bulkiest ammo, which in this case would be 303, so like you say, as long as you can store 500 303, and 100 of the others, you're fine.

birdshot type ammo is sec2 ammo, which only needs to be secured like any other of your belongings, within a secure building etc. it does not need to be locked away. mine is sat on top of the gun cabinet and that is fine. slug ammo would need to be on an fac, and so like anything on an fac, it needs to be locked in a cabinet. same as fac moderators that you will of course be asking for in 22 and 38 to give you 2 free 1-2-1 variations for the next guns you want.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#9 Post by channel12 »

If the cabinets are properly secured to a wall then the weight of it and its contents are being carried by the bolts and the wall.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#10 Post by GeeRam »

lovemunkey187 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:10 am
bradaz11 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:41 am you don't have to be able to safely store all you are asking for across multiple calibers, if one caliber, then yes, but if you get 700 of each, then you only need to be able to store 700 rounds of one, plus some of the others. it is then up to you to not possess more than you can safely secure at once. by 12g I assume you mean slug, as you do not need to secure standard shotgun cartridges, only sec1 shotgun ammo.

.22lr x 2000
.303 x 500
.357 x 300
.38 x 300
You may have shot yourself in the foot there by separating the .38spl and the .357, as normally you ask for a .38/.357 slot and ammo as one, not as separate slots ammo category, same as with .44spl/.44mag & 7.62x51/.308.

You should have put in for 2000 x .22, 500 x .303 & 600 .38/357....and be prepared to be knocked back a bit by FET.
On my initial app with the Met years ago, they knocked me back to 1000 x .22, 400 x .303 and 500 x .45LC.

As to the cabinets, I have the RD7+ rifle cabinet with a PD7 pistol/ammo safe sitting on top of it. They are both chemical anchor fixed to the wall, but are not bolted together.
You definately don't want to put the heavier rifle cabinet on top of the ammo cabinet!!!