What to look out for when buying a rifle!

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Re: What to look out for when buying a rifle!

#11 Post by Pippin89 »

CraigH wrote:Ideal curiosity....I wonder what happens with probationary periods at a club, generally they seem to be a fixed 6 months, the amount of times you actually turn up to shoot doesn't seem to be taken into account (or at least it didn't appear to be for my probation period) - I wonder if the six months will still stand or if it will be lengthened due to 'Lockdown'
My club states you must show reasonable attendance in the 6 month probation period with 6 visits as a guideline but down to the committee's discretion. As probationers can only go on Wednesdays I think that is fair.
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#12 Post by 20series »

Oundle work on you have to make 6 visits in a max 6months, if after the Home office minimum of 3 months you have done your six then your full membership is considered at the next committee meeting. If you don't do the six in six months then the probationary membership is cancelled.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Sonofsammo

#13 Post by Sonofsammo »

CraigH wrote:Ideal curiosity....I wonder what happens with probationary periods at a club, generally they seem to be a fixed 6 months, the amount of times you actually turn up to shoot doesn't seem to be taken into account (or at least it didn't appear to be for my probation period) - I wonder if the six months will still stand or if it will be lengthened due to 'Lockdown'
For ours it's 16 times within 3 months minimum and 6 months maximum, 8 of which are indoor and the second 8 outdoor.
As far as probation went, they froze it whilst lockdown was in place and then gave new end dates when they opened up the club again, which took account of the lost time.
Lancs_Oakley
Home club or Range: Diggle

#14 Post by Lancs_Oakley »

If buying second hand its always advisable to try before you buy (or get the owner to run the gun for you whilst you watch)... every second hand gun I have bought has had something wrong with it. Some things really minor other things more major.

If buying new try and buy local because again if you have any issues then you need to easily be able to go back to the RFD. My second rifle I bought I decided to go with a gun shop thats a couple of hours away, well after taking it back 3 times it became a chore!! If I had just used somewhere local it might have cost me £30 more but probably saved me £150 in fuel!!
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#15 Post by Andy632 »

Our probationers have to complete a set amount of tuition during visits during the period & take a competency assessment before gaining full membership.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#16 Post by Blackstuff »

I would really try to buy from new if you don't know what you're looking at. And beware of buying the guns on the Mayfairs walls, some have been there for years and years!

If you must buy secondhand calibre will play a big part in what you're looking out for. Round count means next to nothing in a .22lr, but could be very important in a full-bore rifle calibre gun, especially if its a barrel-burner cartridge.
DVC