Well that was pretty traumatic!

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Well that was pretty traumatic!

#11 Post by snayperskaya »

So you use no lube whatsoever on your rifles locking lugs?
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#12 Post by dromia »

No, last place I would put lube. I want them to grip not slip.

Also it makes gummy mess with the fouling and holding it in place in the receiver making an unnecessary need for cleaning and potentially increasing wear.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#13 Post by Les »

dromia wrote:If you have the misfortune to have to shoot condom bullets then they copper barrels like hell and eventually accuracy deteriorate, hence the "time enough to clean the gun when it stops working".

As I rarely if ever use condom bullets my guns do not suffer from this, I have too much respect for my firearms to use condom bullets in them.
Like these, perhaps? 5mith
Attachments
Bullet proof condoms.jpg
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#14 Post by Geek »

Airbrush wrote:You must be bored to clean the barrel of a .22. lol
I clean all my rifles irrespective of calibre when they have been shot.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#15 Post by snayperskaya »

dromia wrote:No, last place I would put lube. I want them to grip not slip.

Also it makes gummy mess with the fouling and holding it in place in the receiver making an unnecessary need for cleaning and potentially increasing wear.
Surely a very light film of lube on the rear of the locking lugs prevents galling in an area of high pressure metal to metal contact?.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#16 Post by dromia »

Is there really the need? Especially in the bolt actions that we use?

Galling as I understand it is caused by friction 'tween moving surfaces the bolt lugs and receiver should not be moving when under pressure, that is the whole point of the lock up. They should only be moving after the round is fired 'pon extraction and the chambering of the next round none of which is done under pressure.

I haven't lubed bolts and actions for over 40 years now and am still shooting some of those guns in my collection with no drop in accuracy.

In my competitive days my Enfields and Swedish Mausers used to get some hammer round wise and they shoot and function as good today as they did then after thousands of full stoke rounds put through them.

There is the theory and then there is the practice.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#17 Post by snayperskaya »

dromia wrote:Is there really the need? Especially in the bolt actions that we use?

Galling as I understand it is caused by friction 'tween moving surfaces the bolt lugs and receiver should not be moving when under pressure, that is the whole point of the lock up. They should only be moving after the round is fired 'pon extraction and the chambering of the next round none of which is done under pressure.

I haven't lubed bolts and actions for over 40 years now and am still shooting some of those guns in my collection with no drop in accuracy.

In my competitive days my Enfields and Swedish Mausers used to get some hammer round wise and they shoot and function as good today as they did then after thousands of full stoke rounds put through them.

There is the theory and then there is the practice.
I respect your decision not to lube as it's your choice but quick search for "bolt locking lug galling" on the 'net shows it is a common problem when no lube is applied so I'll continue to use a very thin wisp of grease on my lugs for peace of mind, it also makes my bolts noticeable smoother to cycle.

The locking lug recesses are very easy to clean on the AKM and SVD as they are very easy to get to, it is admittedly a bit trickier on the Mosins but it doesn't add that much time to the cleaning routine.I will say they get a much more through clean if I've been shooting Berdan primed milsurp than they do if I've been shooting handloads or commercial ammunition.

dromia
Site Admin

#18 Post by dromia »

Ah the internet a place of much opinion and very little fact.

Also as lot of our firearms lore comes from the US where they can still own and shoot automatic/semi automatic firearms where the functioning is different from our single round bolt actions then there may be a case for lug receiver lubing on such firearms.

But as I say I never lube the lugs and I still have rifles that I have put thousands of rounds through and some of them have been rebarreled as well and all them shoot as well now as then with the headspace still well within spec.

Beware the internet!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#19 Post by snayperskaya »

dromia wrote:Ah the internet a place of much opinion and very little fact.

Also as lot of our firearms lore comes from the US where they can still own and shoot automatic/semi automatic firearms where the functioning is different from our single round bolt actions then there may be a case for lug receiver lubing on such firearms.

But as I say I never lube the lugs and I still have rifles that I have put thousands of rounds through and some of them have been rebarreled as well and all them shoot as well now as then with the headspace still well within spec.

Beware the internet!
Beware the Internet indeed, but a lot of the instances of bolt lug galling I looked at was on bolt action rifles like the Remington 700 etc etc......the same bolt action rifles we have so I'd say there is relevance in those posts/articles.

Each to their own as we all have our way of doing things but for me if a manufacturer/maker recommends lube in a particular area that's good enough for me :good:

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#20 Post by Ovenpaa »

Interestingly I have seen more galling on newer rifles than older ones. By that I mean rifles produced post war vs pre war. I am probably yet to see scuffed lugs on a pre-45 actioned rifle.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal