Just applying for my first FAC & SGC

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Just applying for my first FAC & SGC

#21 Post by Ovenpaa »

Rockhopper wrote:https://medcert.co.uk/
So fifty quid and five weeks and it is done. Disappointingly it has absolutely no contact details and is hosted in Bulgaria. That plus my GP charges GBP48.00 and I prefer to know who holds a copy of my records means I would not go with it. If on the other hand, I had to pay GBP150.00 to my GP or he was a conscientious objector I may take a different view.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
MarkW
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Mendip Shooting Club

#22 Post by MarkW »

My Dr charged £13 for the letter to say I was good. Surprisingly as we hadn't even been accepted officially into the practice by then.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#23 Post by Pippin89 »

Thankfully my GP is an FAC holder himself so he is very good and does it for free. His only request is that I don't go round telling everyone he does them as otherwise he would have everyone in the area coming to him. He had some very interesting views on conscientious objectors....
andy1979
Home club or Range: Wednesbury Marksmen

#24 Post by andy1979 »

Just a quick question

How many photos do i need to send with my application the police website says one and makes no mention of it being signed but everything i'm reading says i need to supply four with one being signed?

i'm a tad confused.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#25 Post by Mattnall »

andy1979 wrote: How many photos do i need to send with my application
The need for multiple photos has gone now although some sites haven't caught up with reality.
One photo that will be scanned in is all that is required.

This is all on Form201; Page14 para16 explains the photo and Page7 where you sign states you need only one.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Polchraine

#26 Post by Polchraine »

Mattnall wrote:
The need for multiple photos has gone now although some sites haven't caught up with reality.

This is all on Form201; Page14 para16 explains the photo and Page7 where you sign states you need only one.
And it would be even better if they allowed for a digital image to be supplied - that would save them having to scan.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#27 Post by Mattnall »

Polchraine wrote:
Mattnall wrote:
And it would be even better if they allowed for a digital image to be supplied - that would save them having to scan.
Small steps.
It wasn't that long ago we still had to send firearm transfer data via recorded deliver mail and email was seen as the devil's tool, now we can send it all by email.

Indeed only a few years ago I had to keep my register in a bound book where pages could not be removed or added without leaving evidence and if I kept the info on the computer it still had to be duplicated in the paper register - now that has completely changed and I must keep it on a computer and if I want to I can also keep a paper copy.
Before long they police licensing departments will want real-time access to the registers and may even host them on their servers - cue the breach of security.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
MarkW
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Mendip Shooting Club

#28 Post by MarkW »

Polchraine wrote:
Mattnall wrote:

When I applied to A&S for my SGC I applied online, sent in a digital picture with my application. I was surprised but then I assume when they come for the home visit they compare the supplied pic with you?
andy1979
Home club or Range: Wednesbury Marksmen

#29 Post by andy1979 »

Application Sent by special delivery which West Midlands Police have received this morning.

My GP charged £25 for the medical report and only took a week or so to write it .
I preempted the report and sent with my application as they were only going to ask for one as I have a declarable in my history.

Not so confident it'll get granted now I've actually sent it as there's a couple of things I've had to declare and they've are playing on my mind now.
Although my GP does state nothing is of an active concern.

Oh well it is what is we'll just have to wait and see.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#30 Post by Pippin89 »

andy1979 wrote:Application Sent by special delivery which West Midlands Police have received this morning.

My GP charged £25 for the medical report and only took a week or so to write it .
I preempted the report and sent with my application as they were only going to ask for one as I have a declarable in my history.

Not so confident it'll get granted now I've actually sent it as there's a couple of things I've had to declare and they've are playing on my mind now.
Although my GP does state nothing is of an active concern.

Oh well it is what is we'll just have to wait and see.
As long as your GP doesn't have an issue and you have been honest about everything then I wouldn't worry too much. Just let it play out and see what happens. Honesty is the biggest part of it.