Gun Safe Installation

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

lazareth1
Home club or Range: Dunfermline Small Bore Rifle Club

Gun Safe Installation

#1 Post by lazareth1 »

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the sport and I've just become a full member of my local club so I'm now looking to apply for my FAC and install my first gun safe.

I've found a suitable location in my bedroom wardrobe which has sliding doors and the right hand side is where the external wall is (my house is new build external brickwork with internal plasterboard).
I've already spoken to a member at my club and he has given me advice on bolting the safe properly to the external brickwork so that's all sorted but my problem is that because of the small space and it needs to be mounted to the brick wall, then I need a safe which is left hinged so it opens the other way.

Having searched high and low online, I don't see many left hinged safe and if I do then I need to pay a premium for it. So my question is: Can I install a right hinged normal safe upside-down and keep the Firearms Officer happy?

FIA

Laz
BamBam

Re: Gun Safe Installation

#2 Post by BamBam »

Should be, I've had mine bolted horizontally before.
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#3 Post by Gh0st »

Having just brought 2 new Bratton sounds I had to have one open left-handed. ( For OCD Purposes).

Despite the premium, all they do is turn the door upside down and mount the hinge the other side. so annoyingly the key opens backwards and the key hole sits lower than the safe next too it...
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
lazareth1

#4 Post by lazareth1 »

BamBam wrote:Should be, I've had mine bolted horizontally before.
Excellent thanks! I'll just have to get used to upside down keyholes and turning them the other way :D
Gh0st wrote:Having just brought 2 new Bratton sounds I had to have one open left-handed. ( For OCD Purposes).

Despite the premium, all they do is turn the door upside down and mount the hinge the other side. so annoyingly the key opens backwards and the key hole sits lower than the safe next too it...
You might as well have installed it upside down and saved the price that's shocking!
Gh0st

#5 Post by Gh0st »

lazareth1 wrote:
BamBam wrote:Should be, I've had mine bolted horizontally before.
Excellent thanks! I'll just have to get used to upside down keyholes and turning them the other way :D
Gh0st wrote:Having just brought 2 new Bratton sounds I had to have one open left-handed. ( For OCD Purposes).

You might as well have installed it upside down and saved the price that's shocking!
Had I read the small print I might of. But it was only £58 difference... so not too fussed.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

Gazza

#6 Post by Gazza »

I'd have thought a left hand opening (proper) option would have been available for no extra cost or at least minimal.
After all there doesn't come much more diverse than the places where a cabinet is mounted.
I'm in the process of moving mine and would prefer/need a left hand opener but I'm not paying that premium for a lash up!
I may have to get the welder out lol
Gh0st

#7 Post by Gh0st »

[quote="Gazza"]I'd have thought a left hand opening (proper) option would have been available for no extra cost or at least minimal.
After all there doesn't come much more diverse than the places where a cabinet is mounted.
I'm in the process of moving mine and would prefer/need a left hand opener but I'm not paying that premium for a lash up!
I may have to get the welder out lol[/quote

You'd have thought so.. oh well. they look good mounted up next to each other....

lazareth1

#8 Post by lazareth1 »

Gazza wrote:I'd have thought a left hand opening (proper) option would have been available for no extra cost or at least minimal.
I may have to get the welder out lol
You would have thought so huh? That's what I expected when I started googling bit I was very quickly let down!
redcat
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Teesdale P&R Club.

#9 Post by redcat »

I have two that need to open that way - just fixed them upside down and repositioned the foam rests.

Redcat
If you think you are a person of some importance, try ordering someone else's dog around.
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#10 Post by Dark Skies »

lazareth1 wrote:Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the sport and I've just become a full member of my local club so I'm now looking to apply for my FAC and install my first gun safe.

I've found a suitable location in my bedroom wardrobe which has sliding doors and the right hand side is where the external wall is (my house is new build external brickwork with internal plasterboard).
I've already spoken to a member at my club and he has given me advice on bolting the safe properly to the external brickwork so that's all sorted but my problem is that because of the small space and it needs to be mounted to the brick wall, then I need a safe which is left hinged so it opens the other way.

Having searched high and low online, I don't see many left hinged safe and if I do then I need to pay a premium for it. So my question is: Can I install a right hinged normal safe upside-down and keep the Firearms Officer happy?

FIA
Laz
Of course! It's an approved, secure, metal box, bolted firmly to the structure of the house - its orientation is of no consequence.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."