The clock is ticking....

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: The clock is ticking....

#61 Post by Blackstuff »

Congrats! lollol Get yourself along to the Target Shooting Show!
DVC
MarkW
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Mendip Shooting Club

#62 Post by MarkW »

Congrats. Not so much on the expensive weekend but on getting certified.
We had an expensive weekend the other week. We have worked on the assumption that everything is fine. Found a gun for the Mrs at a local gunshop. So paid a small deposit and had it transferred to the range. Going up next weekend to shoot it to ensure it the right gun and then settle the balance.
They've said that they'll keep it in their armoury and we can sign it out when we want to go for a lesson. So at least the Mrs can learn to shoot with her own gun
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#63 Post by Pippin89 »

MarkW wrote:Congrats. Not so much on the expensive weekend but on getting certified.
We had an expensive weekend the other week. We have worked on the assumption that everything is fine. Found a gun for the Mrs at a local gunshop. So paid a small deposit and had it transferred to the range. Going up next weekend to shoot it to ensure it the right gun and then settle the balance.
They've said that they'll keep it in their armoury and we can sign it out when we want to go for a lesson. So at least the Mrs can learn to shoot with her own gun
That is a great plan! Any sign of your SGC?
MarkW
Past Supporter

#64 Post by MarkW »

Pippin89 wrote:
MarkW wrote:Congrats. Not so much on the expensive weekend but on getting certified.
That is a great plan! Any sign of your SGC?

No sign of the SGC yet, but then if you look at A&S website it says 14 weeks which puts it at Dec 28th. But the visit team said end of Jan at earliest. So we're working on that currently.
Didn't manage to go shooting on Sun as the shop wasn't fully staffed so going this weekend. Plus will have a look for me to see what they have. Perhaps they might do a deal on 2 guns
Pippin89

#65 Post by Pippin89 »

Thought it might help others so a rough timeline of events for my FAC.... Remember this is in Sussex and your experience may vary depending on location and other factors...

19/9 - Day zero - Application posted
7/10 - Day 18 - Call to book visit
8/10 - Day 19 - GP called to say he had received a request from police.
11/10 - Day 22 - FEO visit
23/10 - Day 34 - References were called
14/11 - Day 56 - Certificates arrived
15/11 - Day 57 - First rifle bought!!
MarkW
Past Supporter

#66 Post by MarkW »

Will update my timeline when it's complete.
But went to test shoot for the Mrs today. She loved it and hit more clays in the 1/2 hr with the instructor doing the test shoot than with our instructor. So gun paid for and hid away in the gunshop armoury.
But while I was there, I thought I'd have a look. Found another Beretta fitted great, shot great, money paid. Now tucked up in the armoury next to the wifes gun. I have no idea what it other than it's a Beretta, 30" barrels and has 1/2 and 1/2 chokes fitted. Very little engraving on the side plates.
Probably not the best way of buying a gun but I was more concerned that it fitted than what it was. I'm having a lesson on Fri so will ask a few questions.

Rumour has it that A&S Polics have recruited 4 more staff to the licensing team. So my SGC might turn up quicker, Who knows
MarkW
Past Supporter

#67 Post by MarkW »

Well went shooting again on Friday, and i found out what my gun is. It's a Beretta, 686 White onyx. A bit more research reveals it's a bit below a solver pigeon spec wise. But to be fair I don't care what spec it is, it's my first gun and I'm hitting a few clays with it. My issue is being consistent now.
MarkW
Past Supporter

#68 Post by MarkW »

SGC has arrived. Heres my timeframe as a reference for anyone else in Somerset.

21st Sept Application submitted via email
23rd Sept Payment taken by A&S Police
4th Oct Payment made to Dr's for letter
7th Oct Call from visit team team to book visit
31st Oct Visit from team
12 Dec Cheeky email sent to A&S asking on progress
19Dec SGC arrived
27th Dec 14 week date and expected arrival of SGC so A&S ahead of their own timeframe.
Pippin89

#69 Post by Pippin89 »

MarkW wrote:SGC has arrived. Heres my timeframe as a reference for anyone else in Somerset.

21st Sept Application submitted via email
23rd Sept Payment taken by A&S Police
4th Oct Payment made to Dr's for letter
7th Oct Call from visit team team to book visit
31st Oct Visit from team
12 Dec Cheeky email sent to A&S asking on progress
19Dec SGC arrived
27th Dec 14 week date and expected arrival of SGC so A&S ahead of their own timeframe.
Great news Mark! Have you taken possession of your Shotguns now?
MarkW
Past Supporter

#70 Post by MarkW »

Yes, shotguns both at home now. Already planning our next day on the clays. Reckon it'll be next weekend