FAC - Medical Conditions

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: FAC - Medical Conditions

#11 Post by Mattnall »

Pippin89 wrote:So I have absolutely no concern that it affects my safe possession of them.
This says it all to me. With the information given I'd keep it to myself, the police will inform the doctors anyway
But the wonder is if someone else who thinks it might feels I should have listed it....
Someone else might be better qualified than you in this matter, but you have not got a listed condition and you think that what you do have won't affect your ability to safely possess firearms, that's all you have to do.
Either way I will double check with the FEO before I send it off.
If in doubt this is always good advice.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#12 Post by Pippin89 »

Mattnall wrote:
Pippin89 wrote:So I have absolutely no concern that it affects my safe possession of them.
This says it all to me. With the information given I'd keep it to myself, the police will inform the doctors anyway
But the wonder is if someone else who thinks it might feels I should have listed it....
Someone else might be better qualified than you in this matter, but you have not got a listed condition and you think that what you do have won't affect your ability to safely possess firearms, that's all you have to do.
Either way I will double check with the FEO before I send it off.
If in doubt this is always good advice.
Thank you. I just wouldn't want to see my application thrown out or even just delayed because someone thinks I should have mentioned it. And FYI I have never been told I can't drive. But I had to inform the DVLA myself and subsequently my insurance companies of it... The joke of it is it basically doubles my insurance cost but if I crashed because of it they wouldn't cover me! How does that work?? lol
Christel
Site Admin

#13 Post by Christel »

On the subject of the DVLA - if one is a diabetic they need to know regardless of how it is controlled.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#14 Post by kennyc »

Mattnall wrote:
kennyc wrote: if you have sleep aponia then the DVLA will have been informed
Most Doctors won't routinely inform on patients unless they have knowledge of a patient still driving after being told they mustn't. It is down to the patient to inform the DVLA in the first instance.
The GMC Ethical Guidance wrote:9 If you become aware that a patient is continuing to drive when they may not be fit to do so, you should make every reasonable effort to persuade them to stop. If you do not manage to persuade the patient to stop driving, or you discover that they are continuing to drive against your advice, you should consider whether the patient’s refusal to stop driving leaves others exposed to a risk of death or serious harm. If you believe that it does, you should contact the DVLA or DVA promptly and disclose any relevant medical information, in confidence, to the medical adviser.
And who gets the bill for this? Certainly not the Driving License holder, unlike the FAC holder when he or she has to get a report done.
if you are assessed at a hospital sleep clinic they will write to your GP and to the DVLA saying that you should not drive until treated, I know this for a fact.
Pippin89

#15 Post by Pippin89 »

christel wrote:On the subject of the DVLA - if one is a diabetic they need to know regardless of how it is controlled.
Same with sleep apnoea. You have to inform them regardless. But if doesn't affect your ability to drive unless you are medically advised not to.
Pippin89

#16 Post by Pippin89 »

kennyc wrote:if you are assessed at a hospital sleep clinic they will write to your GP and to the DVLA saying that you should not drive until treated, I know this for a fact.
This did not happen to me when I was referred / assessed.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#17 Post by Mattnall »

kennyc wrote:if you are assessed at a hospital sleep clinic they will write to your GP and to the DVLA saying that you should not drive until treated, I know this for a fact.
I couldn't say about the clinic but as I said the GP doesn't routinely inform the DVLA and is advised by the GMC not to, preferring to let the patient do so themself. Just going on the GMC Guidance to GPs about informing DVLA.

This seems a bit daft as the patient can tell the GP whatever they like. Unless the GP knows or has reason to believe the patient is still driving he/she still doesn't have to (isn't advised to) inform the DVLA.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#18 Post by hitchphil »

The whole medical ref thing is a crock of s*** - thought up on the hoof, made up as they go along, to deflect responsibility way from police to the doctors & show tacit compliance to jumping thru another hurdle. Most Dr's hate it, some use it as a cash cow, some refuse to underpin it & the BMA who were consulted didn't consult with the doctors on implementing it. Its now an utter mess & is subject to another review ......

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultat ... icZEz_HYtw but you have till 11:45 tomorrow to have your say......... have you had your say? i have 8x!

long & short if its on the definitive list yes, if not dont. Why expand it & make it harder for yourself or more absurd than it already is? having a sleep condition isn't going to affect you when you are awake? & being a sleep even with a firearm in a cabinet! isn't a threat to anyone even if that sleep is disrupted.

I recon some will go private so they dont have some of these things on their NHS record & some are so subjective & open ended - anyway do you want to invite the over reaction of Manchester police to a guy popping rats in his own garden with an air rifle? then list your athletes foot as relevant?
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
Pippin89

#19 Post by Pippin89 »

UPDATE:

I got the following response from the Firearms and Explosives Licencing Unit:
Dear Mr XXX

Thank you for your email.

In response to your question, although this condition would not hinder your application we would ask that you disclose all medical conditions as we will be contacting your GP and if they mention anything that you haven't this would then go against your application

Kind Regards

LXXX
So in summary, if I list it then they won't give it a second thought. If I don't list it and my GP mentions it then it will negatively impact my application. It sounds to me like the question needs to be drastically reworded to say that you should list ALL medical conditions, whether relevant or not! Either way I listed it along with my skin condition, which I wasn't even considering listing, for the sake of full disclosure.
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#20 Post by Daryll »

Pippin89 wrote:Either way I listed it along with my skin condition, which I wasn't even considering listing, for the sake of full disclosure.
Whats the skin condition...?? itchy trigger finger..?? :D