Buying privately

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Matt101
Home club or Range: Kingsbury

Buying privately

#1 Post by Matt101 »

Evening all

I have had my FEO visit and he was happy with everything and I should have my certificate a week tomorrow lollol

Now I have seen a rifle I want but it is being sold privately. Is the procedure the same as buying from a dealer. E.G they fill in relevant details in the available slot on my Cert and a transfer letter detailing their details, my details and the rifle details. Apart from seeing their certificate to check identity and legality to own said rifle is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks

Matt
Rockhopper

Re: Buying privately

#2 Post by Rockhopper »

You also need to notify your firearms department. The seller will do it as well.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#3 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Take a knowledgeable person with you, as with all things buyer beware !
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#4 Post by Mattnall »

All the details you need to supply to your firearms department will be written in the table by the seller (along with your details found on the front of the FAC if you've forgot ;) )

The seller will also need the details from the front of your FAC to let your police force know to whom he sold it.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#5 Post by Pippin89 »

Perhaps a sticky post for newbies detailing the procedure of buying privately and an example of the email/letter to the firearms department etc might not be a bad idea...
Buying from an RFD you obviously have their assistance. But privately it could be 1 newbie to another newbie relying on each other to know what they are doing! haha
Rockhopper

#6 Post by Rockhopper »

I would hope that the FEO explained the process to them when he did his home visit. Mine certainly did.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#7 Post by Mattnall »

It's already written on the FAC, or at least it is on the ones I've seen.

Guidance to FAC holder and anyone selling to the FAC holder:

Note at the end of the FAC:

Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#8 Post by bradaz11 »

there is actually nothing that says you get to see the sellers FAC, only that the seller must see yours.

as for letters for transfer, usually the police force have PDF's on their website for you to use, avon and somerset certainly do, so did beds. all you need to say is; your name, FAC, whether bought or sold, type ie rifle, makers name, serial number, date of transfer. sellers name, address and FAC / SGC number
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns