Scopes

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Matt101
Home club or Range: Kingsbury

Re: Scopes

#11 Post by Matt101 »

I'm sorry if I've ruffled any feathers over this. But having never seen one let alone held one I assumed it was a License from a Licensing Unit

I will know for future reference
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#12 Post by dromia »

You need to be licensed to acquire and keep explosives, to own and use firearms you are certified as a person fit to do that is all that is needed, along with security commensurate with the risk and good reason, meet these criteria and your certificate cannot be denied.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#13 Post by Pippin89 »

I guess the difference is that a "Licence" implies you have full access to buy and keep what you want that falls under that licence. Whereas with an FAC you are only permitted to buy what is agreed to. For example a drivers licence allows you to buy and drive any car that falls under that category without restriction assuming insurance and other laws are upheld.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#14 Post by Geek »

Matt101 wrote:
dromia wrote:
Matt101 wrote: Willing to hold it until I get my licence then I will go and collect. That's if it all goes ok.

You don't get a Licence you get a certificate, there is no such thing as a firearms licence it is a Certificate.

The police don't have firearms licensing departments the have Firearms certification and Explosives licensing departments.
Thanks for clearing that up. Maybe I should have a word with the FEO then when he comes.

https://www.warwickshire.police.uk/flu/ ... slicensing
This is GMP's website:
https://www.gmp.police.uk/ar/applyregis ... -and-fees/
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
bb2

#15 Post by bb2 »

dromia wrote:
Matt101 wrote: Willing to hold it until I get my licence then I will go and collect. That's if it all goes ok.

You don't get a Licence you get a certificate, there is no such thing as a firearms licence it is a Certificate.

The police don't have firearms licensing departments the have Firearms certification and Explosives licensing departments.
Police forces most definately do have Firearms Licensing Departments.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#16 Post by Blackstuff »

dromia wrote:

Not strictly true, museums get a Firearms Licence :D
DVC
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#17 Post by dromia »

Different from an individual certificate, the departments bread and butter activity is firearm and shotgun certificates followed no doubt by RFD certificates.

The fact that they even get their titles wrong shows that they don't know what they do. However this basic error and misrepresentation doesn't surprise me when I see the mess firearms/shotgun certification is in across the country.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#18 Post by Mattnall »

dromia wrote: The fact that they even get their titles wrong shows that they don't know what they do. However this basic error and misrepresentation doesn't surprise me
Don't get me started on the whole calibre/cartridge-size scenario.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
micken
Home club or Range: Yorkshire Shooting Centre, Huddersfield

#19 Post by micken »

To address what the OP was asking about here's my experience and thoughts on the matter.

I've recently started shooting full bore after many years of shooting all sorts of air and CO2 stuff and .22RF. One of my favourite scopes for air and rimfire has been the MTC Mamba Lite SCB, I've got three of them and used them a lot out to 100m or so. When I got my first CF, a .308, earlier this year I wasn't sure about what types of reticle, magnification, zoom and objective combination to settle on so I put a 4-16 x42 Mamba on it. Zeroed at 100m, used successfully on steel plates out to 600yds and got my first Red stag with it at a measured 175m. I was able to place the shot where I wanted it with the scope and rifle combination.

A month ago I acquired a .223 and put a Mamba on that, zeroed at 100m and it's done that job just fine.

With this in mind I've been thinking about my use of these two rifles and which way to go with scopes. I am likely to use the .308 mostly for stalking and occasional range use, the .223 mostly for range use to 600yds and occasionally hunting. I'm also going to add a 6.5 Creedmoor for longer range target use at some stage.

I've decided to go for a Minox ZX5i 3-15x56 #4 reticle for the .308, this has good light transmission for dawn and dusk and a simple hunting orientated illuminated reticle. I'm unlikeley to be altering the zero on this for stalking.

The other scope I'm interested in is the Zeiss V4 6-24X50 ZMOA-1 with a ballistic turret on the elevation. This would initially go on the .223 and possibly transfer to the 6.5 at a later stage. The ballistic turret allows it to be accurately brought back to zero after dialling other ranges in and the turret is nicely set up for calibration of different ranges. The reticle is unfussy and IMHO great for paper and metal target shooting.

I can get both scopes for a total of just over £1100, £550 for the Minox and £575 for the Zeiss, which is all I really want to pay to move up from the budget Mambas. If I was going for just one of these for using in all the above situations it would be probably be the Zeiss due to more frequent range use and the ballistic turret function. Having said that I've happily been able to make do with using the Mambas in the interim.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mick
Matt101
Home club or Range: Kingsbury

#20 Post by Matt101 »

micken wrote:To address what the OP was asking about here's my experience and thoughts on the matter.

I've recently started shooting full bore after many years of shooting all sorts of air and CO2 stuff and .22RF. One of my favourite scopes for air and rimfire has been the MTC Mamba Lite SCB, I've got three of them and used them a lot out to 100m or so. When I got my first CF, a .308, earlier this year I wasn't sure about what types of reticle, magnification, zoom and objective combination to settle on so I put a 4-16 x42 Mamba on it. Zeroed at 100m, used successfully on steel plates out to 600yds and got my first Red stag with it at a measured 175m. I was able to place the shot where I wanted it with the scope and rifle combination.

A month ago I acquired a .223 and put a Mamba on that, zeroed at 100m and it's done that job just fine.

With this in mind I've been thinking about my use of these two rifles and which way to go with scopes. I am likely to use the .308 mostly for stalking and occasional range use, the .223 mostly for range use to 600yds and occasionally hunting. I'm also going to add a 6.5 Creedmoor for longer range target use at some stage.

I've decided to go for a Minox ZX5i 3-15x56 #4 reticle for the .308, this has good light transmission for dawn and dusk and a simple hunting orientated illuminated reticle. I'm unlikeley to be altering the zero on this for stalking.

The other scope I'm interested in is the Zeiss V4 6-24X50 ZMOA-1 with a ballistic turret on the elevation. This would initially go on the .223 and possibly transfer to the 6.5 at a later stage. The ballistic turret allows it to be accurately brought back to zero after dialling other ranges in and the turret is nicely set up for calibration of different ranges. The reticle is unfussy and IMHO great for paper and metal target shooting.

I can get both scopes for a total of just over £1100, £550 for the Minox and £575 for the Zeiss, which is all I really want to pay to move up from the budget Mambas. If I was going for just one of these for using in all the above situations it would be probably be the Zeiss due to more frequent range use and the ballistic turret function. Having said that I've happily been able to make do with using the Mambas in the interim.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Mick
Thanks Mick