Rifle Recommendations

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

Rifle Recommendations

#1 Post by Pippin89 »

Hi all

After some recommendations on rifles. I don't have my FAC yet but I want to have a good idea of what I am going to buy in advance. If nothing else I am sure this will be helpful when the FEO visits....

I will post my intended slots, what I will use them for and my budget for each, plus my current plans.

.22LR Target Rifle - For use at the club weekly doing 25 yard prone shooting - £500 second hand - Anschutz 1903

.22LR Bench Rest - Similar to above but with optical sight & mag for bench rest - £500 second hand - ???

.22LR LSR - for LSR so less than 4.5kg, magazine fed - £300 - Ruger 10/22???

.308 Full Bore Target - For shooting 300-600 yards as Bisley and possibly up to 1000 yards at some point - £Undecided yet... - Remington 700?

Budgets are rough guides and can vary if needed. I am anticipating being knocked back on one in which case I would lose the benchrest and maybe try and dual purpose one of the others for this....

Thank you in advance!!
MotorRacingBruce1980
Home club or Range: 5th Sussex Home Guard Rifle Club Worthing, Ford/Yapton, Fittleworth, Bisley

Re: Rifle Recommendations

#2 Post by MotorRacingBruce1980 »

I would also recommend a moderator for each caliber. Its always best to ask for more and get knocked backed by a couple but if you don't ask you definitely won't get it.
Anschutz Supermatch54, CZ452 LTH, Savage 16 FCSS 223, Ruger No1 243,
Enfield No4 Mk1/2 303, Mauser M18 308, Martini Henry Mk3 577/450, Chiappa 1892 357mag, Franchi Affin 12g, Miroku Mk38 GD5 Trap 12g, Ugartechea BLE SxS 12g, BSA R10 22, Webley Alecto 177
Pippin89

#3 Post by Pippin89 »

MotorRacingBruce1980 wrote:I would also recommend a moderator for each caliber. Its always best to ask for more and get knocked backed by a couple but if you don't ask you definitely won't get it.
Yes sorry I should have put that. I plan on putting a mod for each too. I was going to put 2 x .22 and 1 x .308
Rockhopper

#4 Post by Rockhopper »

That lot doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Its likely they will only let you have 500 .22 on first grant which you'll go through quickly if you are going to actually shoot all your rifles regularly.
One of the questions they will ask your club secretary is do they have the facilities for you to shoot all the rifles you are applying for. Does your club run ranges at Bisley or are you a member of a club that shoots there? They might need to know about that before they let you have a rifle.
My club for example doesn't have facilities for full bore but we use Thorpe Cloud range throughout the year and we supply our own range officers so that's okay.
Pippin89

#5 Post by Pippin89 »

Rockhopper wrote:That lot doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Its likely they will only let you have 500 .22 on first grant which you'll go through quickly if you are going to actually shoot all your rifles regularly.
One of the questions they will ask your club secretary is do they have the facilities for you to shoot all the rifles you are applying for. Does your club run ranges at Bisley or are you a member of a club that shoots there? They might need to know about that before they let you have a rifle.
My club for example doesn't have facilities for full bore but we use Thorpe Cloud range throughout the year and we supply our own range officers so that's okay.
Thanks for your comments. Yes our club shoots full bore at Bisley. Everything I have chosen is for a discipline that the club shoots, either in house or at Bisley. I was going to ask for 1200 .22 so I can buy a batch of 1000 (for price breaks and consistency). If they knock me down to 600 then that's fair enough...
Rockhopper

#6 Post by Rockhopper »

Don't use price as a reason, they specifically don't allow that I'm afraid.
Pippin89

#7 Post by Pippin89 »

I will stick to consistency then. Also there is the possibility I may want to use different ammo in the semi auto and bolt actions. I may hold onto that to increase my capacity after a year or so when I have had a chance to blow my way through a few thousand rounds!
J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

#8 Post by J4mes »

I got 1200lr on my first application with only one .22lr rifle and 1 .22lr lbp.
Rockhopper

#9 Post by Rockhopper »

Always ask for more than you think you’ll get. You might be lucky. Don’t use money saving to justify it though.
U27 Shooting Range
Home club or Range: U27 Warsaw, Poland

#10 Post by U27 Shooting Range »

Tak into the considerations also CZ rifles. Very well engineered and in my opinion very good price quality ratio. I am considering buying the new comer CZ 457 MTR varmint to be used with the optics.
Attachments
CZ 457 MTR.jpg
CZ 457 MTR.jpg (11.63 KiB) Viewed 2412 times
The best indoor range in Poland
http://www.u27.pl/en