FAC , which rifles on first application advice please

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Rockhopper

Re: FAC , which rifles on first application advice please

#11 Post by Rockhopper »

To add to the confusion somewhat my FEO wouldn't let me have a 7.62/.308 rifle etc. I had to specify which one i wanted. They were happy to let me have 7.62/.308 ammunition allowance though!
Molski
Home club or Range: Yorkshire Shooting Centre

#12 Post by Molski »

Chaps
Thankyou for all your invaluable advice it’s very much appreciated.

It seems from your replies that the .308 is favourite so It makes sense to drop the 6.5 Creedmore.
Geek, would two .22 lr rifles be considered acceptable by the feo considering (at the moment) they would both be used for target shooting?. If i had a permission then i was considering applying for two .22 as one would be used on the range and the other could be a dedicated NV pest control rifle, if I am allowed two then I would definitely apply for them.
So my new list would be.....
2 x .22 lr + moderators
.223 + moderator
.308 + moderator

Would it still be worth applying for the .22 fac air and the .17 hmr + moderators if I explained that I MAY be securing some permission in the near future or would I be better leaving them off altogether and applying for a variation as and when I do gain some permission .
Once i have settled on which rifles to apply for then I’m sure i shall be pestering you kind folk on make and models, twist rates. Length of barrels etc , etc .
Once again very many thanks for all your valuable input.
Atb
Molski (Steve)
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#13 Post by Andy632 »

Why not ask your club secretary what he would recommend!
Our standard for our club members is. 3 x .22rifles plus a couple of moderators; .357 or 44mag rifle & 308 rifle (&308/7.62 ammo) plus any LBR/BPP if they're interested in that sort of thing.

You can always add in another odd one or two and allow the Licencing officer knock them back, so he feels he's achieved something!
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Molski
Home club or Range: Yorkshire Shooting Centre

#14 Post by Molski »

Andy
Thanks for the advice, i had actually asked one of the staff (not the secretary) on what would be a good choice/ justifiable, his reply was “whatever you fancy but expect to negotiate with the feo and have a good reason and be able to justify your choice!). Which seems fair enough.
Cheers
Gazza

#15 Post by Gazza »

West Yorks are funny, or used to be, about how many guns you ask for on initial grant.
I put 9 guns on my first application and they were soon on the phone :D
They asked why I need so many, justifiable answer, target shooting.
They were still a bit shaky so I said drop the two pistols but none of the rifles and all was OK :good:
Who did you speak to at the club, Martin?
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#16 Post by Andy632 »

I always tell our guys if they get any questions like that to ask how many golf stick thingies the chief constable has & why does he need so many! Usually gets the message across. ;)
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
J4mes
Home club or Range: Classified

#17 Post by J4mes »

I went for the rather boring

.22Lr LBP
.22 LR semi + mod
.223/5.56 + mod
.308/7.62 + mod (ended up with 7.62x39 in this slot)

.223/5.56 still open at the minute but once thats filled I'll be looking at a pistol calibre underlever to keep the rest company.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#18 Post by Geek »

Molski wrote:Chaps
Thankyou for all your invaluable advice it’s very much appreciated.

It seems from your replies that the .308 is favourite so It makes sense to drop the 6.5 Creedmore.
Geek, would two .22 lr rifles be considered acceptable by the feo considering (at the moment) they would both be used for target shooting?. If i had a permission then i was considering applying for two .22 as one would be used on the range and the other could be a dedicated NV pest control rifle, if I am allowed two then I would definitely apply for them.
So my new list would be.....
2 x .22 lr + moderators
.223 + moderator
.308 + moderator

Would it still be worth applying for the .22 fac air and the .17 hmr + moderators if I explained that I MAY be securing some permission in the near future or would I be better leaving them off altogether and applying for a variation as and when I do gain some permission .
Once i have settled on which rifles to apply for then I’m sure i shall be pestering you kind folk on make and models, twist rates. Length of barrels etc , etc .
Once again very many thanks for all your valuable input.
Atb
Molski (Steve)
My first FAC had 3x .22LR's + moderators, .223 + moderator + .38..357. I purchased one .22LR moderator then swopped the other .22LR moderator slots for other rifles. Why shouldn't you have more than one .227LR, one self loading and one bolt-action. There will be members on here with lots of .22LR's because that is their interest and possibly to suit the competitions that they enter.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#19 Post by Pippin89 »

I am planning on 3 x .22LR when I apply in a couple of months.
1 bolt action with iron sights
1 bolt action with optic sight
1 semi auto for LSR
Perfectly reasonable to have separate rifles for different sights as there is no way they would expect you to pull them off and change them each time you shoot a new discipline. I am also going to apply for a .308 for full bore. Hopefully I get away with .308/7.62 to keep options open. Some seem to get away with it and others don't.
Mods for all which as others have said will mostly be used for 1 for 1 variations.
Add a couple of shotguns on my SGC and my cabinet will be full! haha
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#20 Post by Geek »

Whatever cabinet size you are thinking of buying, get the next size up at least. This will allow space for the one for one variations.

Once you have scoped rifles it will significantly reduce the number of rifles that will fit. Also, consider a separate ammunition safe. I have 1x10 gun, 1x6 gun and a breakdown shotgun safe as an ammunition safe (one of the safes also has an integral ammunition safe).
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S