Advice on my first rifle

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

Re: Advice on my first rifle

#11 Post by JS569 »

joeuk wrote:Thats the good thing with Tikka is all the aftermarket stuff, I have looked at second hand market but as I am new to the game I am worried that someone selling one as not looked after the barrel from new, don't get me wrong some guys at my club keep records of everything. I have seen some older T3 that have been kitted out with rails, stocks etc at good price but this becomes a new thread like T3 vs T3x, sometimes I wonder if I am over thinking my selection. The Mossberg is good value for money hence the interest but don't want to jump at the purchase just for this reason and the fact its a tactical stock with pistol grip.Please forgive all my post I am one of those people that after do research research and more research before spending my money lol.
That's a good way to be. I've just swapped cars and have spent a long time thinking it through and making an informed decision. Buy right, buy once. Gradually ask round, most gun owners (not all) are enthustiasts so tend to look after their firearms. Some guns are 'working' guns and get well used, for example the keepers Benelli's near us are out daily shooting thousands of shells a year, whilst they're well maintained they look like they do get used every day. Essentially pick your seller, in my case I bought off a guy I shoot CSR with who'd bought it then quickly bought and AI so never really used it. I'm just starting out CSR so wanted something reliable, capable and something that can grow with me as I get my head around it. As you've stated, you're a starter, buy the best thing you can afford without busting the bank. Ultimtely the Mossberg will be accurate and reliable but it will be a mass produced rifle built to a price for the US market.
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#12 Post by Geek »

DaveT wrote:Perhaps reconsider the calibre if you have aspirations beyond 600 yards.
223 will limit you in future and you soon get the hankering to push far out!
6mm or 6.5mm are far better choices.
The 6mm / 6.5mm may be an issue with factory ammunition unless they are reloading?

If .223, then lots of factory ammunition available - just a thought.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#13 Post by Daryll »

Having said earlier today that the MVP LC was a good gun, i've discovered a potentially serious problem with mine tonight... :oops:

Some fired cases were showing a bright ring about 2/3rds up the case.. the cases themselves seemed ok, with no thinning on the inside, so i looked in the chamber with my cheapo borescope.

Theres a depressed ring around the chamber that corresponds with the ring on the cases, and if I lay a case on the outside, level with the chamber, it lines up with where the recoil lug fits between the barrel and action... so something has come loose...

i've taken the stock off and everything seems tight between the barrel and action, but I've contacted the local RFD I bought it from asking him, or his pet gunsmith, to have a look at it before i fire it again.
joeuk
Home club or Range: Yorkshire shooting centre

#14 Post by joeuk »

Watched a guy on YouTube from the states having loose screws on his Mossberg this is why I am asking about this make, don’t get me wrong you will find faults on a percentage. Another rifle I like the specs and wood stock was the Lithgow but I know they had barrel issues and did a recall, wonder if you had to send back to Australia so again puts you off a bit