Ammunition safe on top of gun safe?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: Ammunition safe on top of gun safe?

#11 Post by Daryll »

Dark Skies wrote:
Blair_Mc wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I see the benefit of keeping ammunition away from the guns but finding discreet space to place it in is a problem for me. On top or next to my gun safe is ideal, and there seems to be no issues with it being looked upon as less secure.
That's certainly how I've done it for the past thirty years - old handgun safes bolted to the top of my cabinets and to the wall. Never, ever been questions about the security of it. Indeed, cabinets all bolted to each other and the wall would be bloody difficult to carry away with all that bulk and combined weight even if the wall were sledge hammered down.
Same here... my old pistol cabinet holding my C/F ammo bolted to the wall above one gun cabinet, a cheapish digital safe holding .22rf ammo above the other cabinet.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#12 Post by Pippin89 »

What about an ammo safe inside the gun safe?? Is there a problem with doing this?
strangesam
Home club or Range: Invicta Bristol, Frome and District PC

#13 Post by strangesam »

Pippin89 wrote:What about an ammo safe inside the gun safe?? Is there a problem with doing this?
Volume, many people do have internal lock boxes as part of their gun safes, but with increasing holdings and increasing number of calibres shot these quickly become too small.

The lockbox on top of a Brattonsound RL5 for instance will hold about 3000 22lr, or 300 .303.

A lockbox inside the safe is a great place to start (and often sufficient for hunters who stock less ammuntion than target shooters), but as people start shooting new and varied disciplines/rifles, they are just not large enough.
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#14 Post by Andy632 »

Refer back to my post #10 ;)
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Hixus
Home club or Range: Range

#15 Post by Hixus »

I'm sure it wouldn't be a make or break situation but you need to consider your access if the ammo storage is on top of the cab would you be able to reach it?

I had internal storage within my cabinet initially but due to the location it was hard to reach. When I calculated the volume of the ammunition I realised it was too small anyway so invested in separate storage.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#16 Post by Pippin89 »

Hixus wrote:I'm sure it wouldn't be a make or break situation but you need to consider your access if the ammo storage is on top of the cab would you be able to reach it?

I had internal storage within my cabinet initially but due to the location it was hard to reach. When I calculated the volume of the ammunition I realised it was too small anyway so invested in separate storage.
I've done the same. The internal one will hold 1500 .22lr by my calculations with a bit of room to spare. But by the time I get some .308 or 7.62 it will quickly become too small. And I didn't want any questions from the FEO regarding having enough storage. So I bought another small safe. I will use the internal one for bolts etc for a bit of added security.