Ranging targets

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

Re: Ranging targets

#11 Post by hitchphil »

tfb wrote:many thanks. I'll try the app and I'll visit the zero range
thankssign When you do - tell them what cal you are zeroing they may have other diagrams that suit the round being used. I teach TR skills for vernier sights & teach shooters to bore sight then hit a bit of card before actually using the zero range card then to put on what would be an estimate 600 yd elevation & about 4moa left or right. (so you start in the middle & dont shoot the scale out)

For 308 (155-144 grain) aim at the black & adjust till the shot is center of the 600yds bar & 4moa left or right - then slip the plates to 13 & 4(L/R) - then add the std elevation to 900 & check that & same for 1000. Then back to 600 & down to 500-300. writing down the setting for each (I use an old zero card & write opposite each elevation) - you can then reverse the offset windage : 4 right to 4 left & re-zero the rifle for a different ammunition (bullet weight or load).

That method shows up a number of poss errors:
If the line of shots are not parallel to the card scale in the middle (assuming you aligned the target vertically with a plumb line?) then your sights are not fitted properly - i.e. are not parallel between rear & fore, or you are canting the gun?
If they dont immediately go to the distance bar when putting on/taking off the std elevation then they are not MOA sights (i.e. there is not 34.8 inch between the foresight iris & rear-sight iris) & so std elevations will be misleading on your gun. (or in one case we found out the sights were Australian 1/3 moa per click! vs UK 1/4)
If they dont return to the same hole when taking off / putting back on the elevation you have backlash in the threads & sights. (they need servicing).

Assuming all is well, wind the sights to 0 wind & 3 elevation & it will hit the black at 300. assuming you put on some wind & released the shot properly. You can refine the table of settings for distances but my advise is work up form 300-600-900 then 1000. Note some FPs can introduce a 1moa error because of their angle.

Am afraid we coaches & RCOs see too many people banging away with 30rnds making a hole in the black aiming mark of the zero range card more ragged & calling it zeroed, then heading out to the ranges & homing in on the target by shooting a form of brail! that can put rounds into the range floor that can ricochet out of the danger area or over the top into what is actually a Limited Danger Area at Bisley.

How do we know - the skiff marks can be seen in the ground & stray shot holes can be counted in the target numbers -

NB There are cctv cameras on the Zero range to stop people using it as a cheap shoot & monitor safety.

How to zero a rifle should be part of your clubs SSC safety training? if you have a current SSC then you should know some of this?
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?
tfb
Home club or Range: TSC

#12 Post by tfb »

I know and understand the theory of what I need to do to set the sights in preparation for longer ranges, I just didn't know what the targets were called!. The idea of winding off to the left or right to preserve the scale is a good one.
Software also has come along a long way. I've been very impressed with what I've seen so far on the freely available apps or websites.
rox

#13 Post by rox »

tfb wrote:Can anyone help me with a name or a link? and are they available for different calibers?
Here's one I made earlier. This one is for the Bisley zero range, which is at 71'7".

Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#14 Post by Geek »

Ovenpaa wrote:I use Bullet Flight (Military version) and prefer it to Strelok which I also have. I find BF gives me slightly better predictions, albeit at a premium.

Just looked at Bullet Flight on the app store, L1 (3.99), L2 (£11.99) and M (what you have) £28.99. At the moment I use Strelok Pro (£4.99), which is OK. I would be interested in any further comments you have on Bullet Flight and in your opinion is it worth buying if you already have Strelok Pro? I do shoot out to 1000 yards so always interested in anything which could improve my shooting. Although while off topic I am always cautious when reloading (stick to what's in the book) so my elevation is always more than Strelok states.
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S