Metropolitan police SGC

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Dave198137
Home club or Range: AGL

Metropolitan police SGC

#1 Post by Dave198137 »

I know this has been covered before but so far my application has been with the Met police for 7 weeks now and nothing has been done yet,!? No interview as yet and when I contac them they said it hasn’t even been passed to the local firearms office, sorry but this is ridiculous how slow and poor the process is I understand some counties have huge waiting times but from that I’ve read the Met are usually pretty good, if there was a problem with my application I.e. filled something in wrong etc surely they would of informed me by now?

Sorry for the rant but it’s annoying when you just want to get on with your passion and paying the fee etc
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Metropolitan police SGC

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

7 weeks does not seem excessive. Have they cashed your cheque yet?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Rockhopper

#3 Post by Rockhopper »

Could be months yet, a year wouldn't be out of the ordinary in some areas.
Cheques are often cashed by accounts as soon as the post is opened.
Dave198137

#4 Post by Dave198137 »

I know some areas are months but in the shooting times their is a time chart per county and the Met is 8 weeks and from what I’ve seen a lot of people back that time scale up, its more the fact I’d like more info on what stage the application is at rather than just a response of not sure it’s in the process, if you know it’d be say 3 more weeks then fine rather than no one knowing?
Ovenpaa wrote:7 weeks does not seem excessive. Have they cashed your cheque yet?

Sent a bank cheque so it deducts the money from my account soon as the bank prints the cheque so I don’t know if they have paid it in to their account
Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

#5 Post by Dark Skies »

Wearing my rose-tinted glasses made circa 1983 on seven weeks DOES seem excessive.
Wearing my modern glasses obtained in Thames Valley seven weeks is bugger all - expect a few months yet. At least.
The important thing is not to hold your breath. They won't have done doodley until the cheque has cleared - and that may not have happened yet (incredible but true).
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#6 Post by Kungfugerbil »

I remember the frustration, but as I recall it was all done as a ‘black box’ process - no updates, info shared etc. I was going to say that you have no chance of anything happening now with Christmas around the corner but looking back my first ticket arrived on Christmas Eve :)
Dave198137

#7 Post by Dave198137 »

Kungfugerbil wrote:I remember the frustration, but as I recall it was all done as a ‘black box’ process - no updates, info shared etc. I was going to say that you have no chance of anything happening now with Christmas around the corner but looking back my first ticket arrived on Christmas Eve :)
Fingers crossed haha
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#8 Post by GeeRam »

Dave198137 wrote:I know some areas are months but in the shooting times their is a time chart per county and the Met is 8 weeks and from what I’ve seen a lot of people back that time scale up, its more the fact I’d like more info on what stage the application is at rather than just a response of not sure it’s in the process, if you know it’d be say 3 more weeks then fine rather than no one knowing?
They won't inform anyone of where they are in the process, so no use looking for that info.

Yes, 8 weeks was certainley Met average in recent times, I suspect it will longer now with the huge cuts that are being forced on them in recent months, so sadly, its likely their 8 week average will increase.

I would suggest checking with your bank to see if they have cashed the money as first port of call, as if not, likely they haven't even received your app, as they cash usually within a few days of receiving the application in my experience.
Did you send it in to Empress House by registered post?
Dave198137

#9 Post by Dave198137 »

I spoke to the pc who will interview me