Left hand/Right Hand Bolt?

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Madhatter
Home club or Range: Yorkshire Shooting Centre

Left hand/Right Hand Bolt?

#1 Post by Madhatter »

I am a probationer, at the range the other day I was given a left handed Anschutz bolt action to use as part of my training through the various types of rifles. I am right handed. The rifle was excellent and very accurate AND I found the operation of the bolt with my left hand very comfortable and natural? I found that operating the bolt with my left hand allowed the stock to sit in my shoulder consistently along with my cheek-rest being un disturbed and the whole right side of my position remained motionless. Now, as with all probationers I dream wistfully of when I shall have my own rifles so I am very interested in others experiences regarding this topic, what are the advantages and disadvantages of a right handed shooter using a left handed bolt set up and is it common. Your thoughts and experience would be very much appreciated, I will use your input to determine the bolt orientation of my own rifles.
thankssign
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Left hand/Right Hand Bolt?

#2 Post by dromia »

Depends on the position you are shooting from, shooting from a rest an opposite rifle can be an aid and some benchrest shooters prefer an opposite rifle.

Shooting prone or off hand then you either need to take your fronthand off the fore end or bring you trigger hand over the top both of which can be awkward and alter you position of each shot.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Madhatter

#3 Post by Madhatter »

Thanks for your comment, I was shooting off a rest and I do intend to develop my shooting skills using a front rest in some fashion or other. I am hoping to shoot FTR eventually, are there any issues that could present using a left hand bolt set up under these circumstances, in your opinion?
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

If you can get on with a left hand bolt as a right handed shooter then no issues. However do consider availability of L/H rifles and sales if you eventually decide to upgrade as the L/H shooters are not as common so it might be a limited market.

I am right handed however I force myself to shoot left handed from time to time just to keep my hand and eye in.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
The Gun Pimp

#5 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Madhatter wrote:Thanks for your comment, I was shooting off a rest and I do intend to develop my shooting skills using a front rest in some fashion or other. I am hoping to shoot FTR eventually, are there any issues that could present using a left hand bolt set up under these circumstances, in your opinion?
Madhatter - not many shooters spot this but, if you are shooting a rested rifle, a left-bolt/left port set-up can be very good. We used to speed-shoot steel plates - the record for downing five plates (in 10 secs if I remember) was held by a left-handed shooter using a right-handed rifle. His left finger never came off the trigger - his right hand never left the bolt.

However, as Ovenpaa advises - left-handed rifles are harder to find and even harder to sell.

You'll see on Saturday that most right-handed FTR shooters will opt for a right-bolt/left port set-up for a custom gun. The right hand operates the bolt, plots and fills out the score card. The left hand loads the round and the port is visible/accessible should a problem arise.
Madhatter

#6 Post by Madhatter »

These are all very valid points that I hadn't given any thought too, go forum goodjob although I have never made a judgment when purchasing any item based on its potential worth or the ability to move it on when I have done with it, it is a very powerful reason to go with the R/H model. From my experience thus far scouring forums, web sites and any other shooting focused publications, the need to change your rifle , exchange your rifle of just plain sell it happens extremely frequently, especially in the early days of ones shooting journey. All food for though, I am grateful thankssign
steve853
Home club or Range: North Coates Butts

#7 Post by steve853 »

I have a slightly different issue but one that allows me to understand your issues.

I am right handed, but left-eye dominant, (like a lot dominant)

So I shoot left handed, with a right handed rifle. Shooting targets from a rest or bipod is a doddle like that, it’s only if you have to shoot off-hand that it starts to be an issue. Specifically if you miss the rabbit and have to reload in a hurry.

I’m looking for either a LH bolt or a semi auto!
England Prevails
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#8 Post by Mattnall »

Yes it can be fast to shoot right handed with a rested left handed rifle but remember trigger discipline when doing this. I saw one shooter have an unaimed shot miss the target from pulling the trigger inadvertently whilst operating the bolt.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#9 Post by channel12 »

Welcome to my world, right handed but impaired right eye vision so shoot long guns from the left shoulder.

There's more to it than just the side the bolt is on because rifle stocks are canted or otherwise shaped for the bolt orientation. If you shoot a right handed rifle from the left shoulder you may find you are not getting a satisfactory head position or cheek weld or even a good grip on the stock. You may be lucky and have a rifle with an ambidextrous stock but my advice is that if you have to shoot from the left shoulder with a bolt action then get a left handed rifle.
However guns like lever actions, or semi autos are easy from left or right shoulder.
Pippin89
Home club or Range: Chichester Rifle and Pistol Club

#10 Post by Pippin89 »

If you go on to shooting prone with a sling then I think you will find it virtually impossible to shoot this way... Obviously try it and see what works for you. But I would be amazed if it works for anyone. Its not a problem though. Just apply for 2 rifles on your FAC.