Question when applying for FAC

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Question when applying for FAC

#21 Post by bradaz11 »

CraigH wrote:

Had a quick check on the NRA website and my club isn't listed - but could I flip this on it's head, join the NRA as a member and then technically I have access to Bisley?

Also looking at the Three Counties website, the club looks like it accepts non-members with a FAC, so could I say I wish to shoot on one their days as a non member (something which I probably would do) and that would be a good enough reason to add Fullbore rifles to FAC?

Appreciate all the replies so far!
It's not about technically and probably, or even could. It's about what you intend to do.

If you have no place to shoot the firearm, you should not be applying for it. If you have a range where you can shoot the rifle you want, and will do so, then by all means go for it, but do not apply for a rifle you cannot use, just to have the rifle sat at home with no purpose or place to use it.

also, you mentioned a few times about putting off applying while joining other clubs etc, so you can put in for everything at once. A variation only costs £20 you know. if you can apply now, get it in, and ask for what you know you can shoot at the club you are a full member of, then in 6 months or so, when they get around to issuing you a grant, and you get the few rifles you are after, and in that time, you probably joined the other club to shoot more stuff anyway, so you pop in a £20 variation and ask for a few more guns that you now have reason to use!
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
kevinww

#22 Post by kevinww »

CraigH wrote:
Had a quick check on the NRA website and my club isn't listed - but could I flip this on it's head, join the NRA as a member and then technically I have access to Bisley?
However without an FAC with a centre fire calibre, you would have to join the NRA as a Probationary Member and go through all the required probationers courses.
CraigH
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Mayfair Sunderland

#23 Post by CraigH »

OK - sounds like I want to have my cake and eat it!

Based on everyone's advice (which I am very grateful for), I am going to bite the bullet (no pun intended) and join a full bore club prior to applying for my FAC, I may be forced to sell one of my kids but they're getting on now and just get under my feet.

Is there a section on here for selling kids to fund your gun habit?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#24 Post by dromia »

Why do you need to join another club? You can shoot full-bore guns in the one you are already in, it is a fullbore club!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
CraigH

#25 Post by CraigH »

dromia wrote:Why do you need to join another club? You can shoot full-bore guns in the one you are already in, it is a fullbore club!

Judging from some of the other posts because I could not shoot the calibres I am interested in (.223 and .308) at my club so I would be unable to get them on FAC.

To be honest it was always my intention to join one of the local clubs that have access to the MOD ranges as I was interested in trying the 100, 300 and 600 yards - I'm just going to pull forward my original plan.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#26 Post by dromia »

Why can you not shoot .223 or .308 at your club with ammunition within the Certificate?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
CraigH

#27 Post by CraigH »

dromia wrote:Why can you not shoot .223 or .308 at your club with ammunition within the Certificate?

I'm still new to all this and pretty lacking in knowledge, so forgive me if I'm talking out of my derriere.

Club in question is a 20 metre indoor range,
(taken from the website) you can shoot

•Rim fire & pistol calibre rifles, carbines and pistols
•Full bore rifles loaded up to 475 ft/lb m.e. or 1700 f.p.s. velocity
•Muzzle loading pistols/revolvers

I'm a bit hazy on the Full bore 475 ft/lb m.e. or 1700 f.p.s - I'm not sure what this would allow you to shoot, but in my head it didn't include .223 or .308? I thought maybe a downloaded .44 max?
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#28 Post by Mattnall »

dromia wrote:Why can you not shoot .223 or .308 at your club with ammunition within the Certificate?
Exactly, you can down load the ammunition.

Have you asked if the club is NRA Affiliated? That might just save all the problems even with downloading ammo.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Rockhopper

#29 Post by Rockhopper »

Your club allows you to shoot full bore at 25 yards as long as you don't exceed 475 ft/lb m.e. or 1700 f.p.s. velocity. Its not calibre dependant other than a large heavy bullet will have more M.E than a small light one for same velocity (i think!).
Best best it to speak to your club secretary. The Police will write to him with a list of what you have applied for and ask him to say yes or no as to whether you can shoot them at your club (regardless of the specifics of the round you might be forced to use by their range limits - they won't be interested in that).
Quite why anyone would want to shoot full bore at 25 yards is beyond me unless you just want to make noise :-)
Rockhopper

#30 Post by Rockhopper »

CraigH wrote:

I'm still new to all this and pretty lacking in knowledge, so forgive me if I'm talking out of my derriere.

Club in question is a 20 metre indoor range,
(taken from the website) you can shoot

•Rim fire & pistol calibre rifles, carbines and pistols
•Full bore rifles loaded up to 475 ft/lb m.e. or 1700 f.p.s. velocity
•Muzzle loading pistols/revolvers

I'm a bit hazy on the Full bore 475 ft/lb m.e. or 1700 f.p.s - I'm not sure what this would allow you to shoot, but in my head it didn't include .223 or .308? I thought maybe a downloaded .44 max?
You can shoot any calibre you like as long as you don't exceed those performance limits.