Cabinet Positioning Under Stairs

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Cabinet Positioning Under Stairs

#11 Post by snayperskaya »

I fitted my cabinet in my old house in a corner under the stairs in what sounds like a near identical situation to yours and my FLO was fine with it as it was securely bolted in and out of sight from casual visitors/prying eyes.I put a coat rack on the wall next to it and once populated with coats it obscured the view of the cabinet considerably.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#12 Post by breacher »

In the several homes I have inhabited ( 5 different forces ) none have ever questioned the position / corners / ability to leverage etc

As long as its securely bolted to a brick / block wall using the appropriate fixings, it should be ok.

Edit - I would be interested to hear, in all the decades of firearms cabinets being used, of how many have been forced off the wall and carried away !! Few to none, I reckon.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#13 Post by snayperskaya »

breacher wrote:In the several homes I have inhabited ( 5 different forces ) none have ever questioned the position / corners / ability to leverage etc

As long as its securely bolted to a brick / block wall using the appropriate fixings, it should be ok.

Edit - I would be interested to hear, in all the decades of firearms cabinets being used, of how many have been forced off the wall and carried away !! Few to none, I reckon.
Mine is now upstairs and I've vowed never to move as I don't want to have to get it down again!, getting it up there was enough and that was empty!
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#14 Post by Triffid »

breacher wrote:Edit - I would be interested to hear, in all the decades of firearms cabinets being used, of how many have been forced off the wall and carried away !! Few to none, I reckon.
A friend of mine had his prized shotguns stolen about five years ago. He had just renewed his SGC and co-incidentally (or not) about two weeks after he received his new certificate in the post, he was burgled. They took nothing apart from his gun-safe and contents, coming equipped to lever the cabinet off the wall. As far as I know the case remains unsolved.

It's worth noting that if you use 'rawl-bolts' or other shield anchors to fix your cabinet, you need to periodically tighten-up the bolts. When I renew my certificates, I normally enclose a SAE with my application, asking the Police to return my documents in this rather that the rather obvious envelopes they normally use.

Triffid