Hello and a question

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

pluginal
Home club or Range: North Coates butts

Hello and a question

#1 Post by pluginal »

Hello I am new here although not new to shooting. I have just joined the North Coates Butts club about 1 month ago but used to shoot pistol with this club back in the 80's. I loved shooting and had a collection of full bore pistols. After Hungerford kicked off I sold my weapons and gave up shooting thinking I would pre-empt the law and lose my guns. I have now decided to take up shooting again but rifle this time of which I have only a little knowledge but hope to improve on that through the club and this forum. Now on to my question. When I apply for my section 1 and SGC and I get a visit from the local FAO I am a little concerned as I have a collection of replica air guns in a locked glass cabinet in my living room. (Well it was the closest I could get to the real thing :-) ) will he think of me as a gun nut and will this go against my application? or indeed am I a gun nut or a normal guy with a good hobby? I look forward to your comments. Thanks in advance.
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

Re: Hello and a question

#2 Post by mag41uk »

Hello.
I don't see why a collection of airguns will have any bearing on your application.
They will already know you previously held firearms.
That is firearms - not weapons!
Plumose
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: D&DR&RC

#3 Post by Plumose »

I had my FEO visit recently and he kept saying weapons, I decided not to correct him as I didn't want to come across as awkward but it grated every time he said it.
Deddington and District Rifle and Revolver Club (D&DR&RC) http://www.ddrrc.net
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#4 Post by 20series »

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Dude, you're in the right place if you like firearms. (We are all gun nuts)

My experience with Lincolnshire firearms licensing (I assume that's where you are) was really good until G4S that said the people are probably still the same and they were always really helpful, I now live in Northants and they have been equally great,

You just need to work out what type of firearms you want and as long as you can justify having them and have the appropriate security in place then all should be good.

Cheers
Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
pluginal

#5 Post by pluginal »

Thanks guys. I am with Humberside police so not too sure what they are like now. I do have my gun cabinet in place (10 gun) as I intend to hold around 5 and also a separate ammunition safe which are both hidden and bolted down well. I also have a deposit on a nice .223 Howa and intend to home load ammunition. I really want a .22lr ar15 look alike and a Ruger 22/10 A .223 of course and something in 7.62/.308, I would also like a .303 eventually as everyone should have an Enfield, it is our heritage after all. ;-) I will be applying for a shotgun too for a few clays.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#6 Post by safetyfirst »

Welcome! For the .22, a smith and Wesson 15-22 is a great look alike or a CMMG or spikes or NWCP AR15 are as close to a full bore AR15 as you will get.

I wouldn’t worry too much about air guns.
pluginal

#7 Post by pluginal »

Thanks. I have had a shoot with the Smith & Wesson at the club and was impressed. I also had a shoot with the Walther MP5 which I really liked the look of but have been warned off the GSG, Walther, Erma, versions due to using cheap materials and feed problems with them. :-( Gunshop recommended the tippman version of the AR15 look alike but about £200 more than the Smith. Still not sure how to go yet on that front. Still got a while to wait so plenty of time to make my mind up.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#8 Post by Les »

Hello .... welcome to FBUK! :good:
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by 1066 »

Welcome...Just a reminder that it's now a legal requirement to keep you airguns locked up too. Not necessarily in a cabinet but secure.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... ck-and-key
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Christel
Site Admin

#10 Post by Christel »

You can't put a deposit on something that you do not have a slot for.