Applying for a variation with existing unfilled slots

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Hoppum
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts

Applying for a variation with existing unfilled slots

#1 Post by Hoppum »

Hi all.

So I applied for my FAC back in February last year and had it granted in October.

My grant and current status is as follows:
.22 w/moderator - Filled albeit minus mod
.22 w/moderator - Empty
.38/.357 - Empty
.303 - Filled
7.62x54R - Empty

Now I've decided that ideally I'd like my next rifle to be one of RusMilitary's 7.62x39 AKMs which I obviously don't have a slot for.

So my question is, if I were to put in a variation to add 7.62x39, how likely am I to get it? Bearing in mind that I still have 3 unfilled slots on my certificate? If I have to I'll swap out the second .22 but I'd like to avoid doing so if I can, as I still plan on getting another before renewal. In an ideal world I'd like to add 7.92x57 as well but I'm thinking that'd be pushing it so that can wait!

I'm under Thames Valley Police if that affects anything. thankssign
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

Re: Applying for a variation with existing unfilled slots

#2 Post by Hrun »

My last purchase was a GSG 1911 which filled a pistol slot I requested on my FAC application.

I have had 5 variations granted before I bought it..
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#3 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Remember that a moderator is a slot too - I’ve one-for-one’d a moderator slot for a rifle a couple of times.

That being the case, I would expect to be asked why you are asking for more when you have effectively 5 empty slots... doesn’t make it right of course, but that’s FEO logic. For ease (and being free!) I would swap an unused moderator slot for a new rifle to be honest.
Hoppum

#4 Post by Hoppum »

Kungfugerbil wrote:Remember that a moderator is a slot too - I’ve one-for-one’d a moderator slot for a rifle a couple of times.

That being the case, I would expect to be asked why you are asking for more when you have effectively 5 empty slots... doesn’t make it right of course, but that’s FEO logic. For ease (and being free!) I would swap an unused moderator slot for a new rifle to be honest.
Ah yes I didn't think of it like that, probably the best plan as I only actually requested one .22 moderator slot originally but when the certificate turned up, it had two on it!
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#5 Post by froggy »

Salut ,
I was in the same situation as you, also having an empty 38 Sp empty slot that I swapted for 7,62x39. After calling my FAO for advice, I sent back my FAC with a covering letter explaining what I wanted. About 2/3 weeks later it was granted & my new FAC came back . Simple :good:
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#6 Post by meles meles »

Hoppum wrote: In an ideal world I'd like to add 7.92x57 as well but I'm thinking that'd be pushing it so that can wait!

You'll never get to that ideal world if you don't push for it, ooman. Ask for more. Many more...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#7 Post by Hrun »

It is also worth mentioning.. every time a requested a variation, I also asked for the unfilled slot again, otherwise I expected them to remove it assuming I didn't want it anymore..
Hoppum

#8 Post by Hoppum »

meles meles wrote:You'll never get to that ideal world if you don't push for it, ooman. Ask for more. Many more...
I could do, depends how strict they are on having more rifles in a cabinet than that cabinet is advertised as holding. I've two 4 gun cabinets currently, with my shotguns as well that'd leave me with potentially 9 guns total. They are both deep cabinets though so it would easily fit physically. If that's not something that they'd allow, I'd rather spend my money filling my empty slots before buying another cabinet.
Hrun wrote:It is also worth mentioning.. every time a requested a variation, I also asked for the unfilled slot again, otherwise I expected them to remove it assuming I didn't want it anymore..
My FEO said to do this also, so I've already done it :good:.
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#9 Post by Triffid »

Personally I would get a one-for-one variation for one of your other empty slots - the 7.62x54R would be the obvious choice to me but it could equally be any of your unfilled slots as has been said.

Getting the 1-4-1 should be very straightforward, quick and cost nothing. Whereas applying for an additional slot may take more time and will attract the Variation fee. There is absolutely nothing stopping you for applying for the Variation at a later date, but while you've got empty slots, treat them as interchangable, just needing the quick and painless 1-4-1 variation. After all, you've got to get some kind of Variation anyway, it might as well be the quick & cheap one.

Triffid
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#10 Post by Dellboy »

The only time i had a problem was when i had a lbp slot open for a whole certificate length. When i put in a renewal with 2 variations .They gave me 6 months to fill the lbp or lose it but still gave me the other 2
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.