My first centrefire rifle!

New to the sport? Or just not sussed something out yet? Please ask your questions in here, there are many experienced shooters on the forum and someone will for sure come along and answer your question. This is a section for new shooters so if anyone can think of something please submit it.

Moderator: dromia

Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

Re: My first centrefire rifle!

#11 Post by Hrun »

I have a new method for sighting..

Fire a shot.. keep the rifle pointed at the original aim point and move the scope so the cross hairs cover the hole..

Fire at the original aimpoint and done (I have a rest the hold front and back especially for this)..

Then fine tune without the rest.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#12 Post by Alpha1 »

Kungfugerbil wrote:Well I took the rifle out for it’s maiden sighting-in at the weekend. Only a 100m but I thought I would at least get it pointing in the right direction before attempting anything further.

The range was empty and electronic targets meant I could stay nice and warm under cover. Lovely. On the advice of Triffid I got hold of some 155gn NRA imperial rounds and some PPU 168gn as they were available and cheap. I started with the 168gn PPU and it took me a while to walk the rounds on...when I did they were going pretty well and I got a 10.9 on the ISSF style scoring. I switched over to the 155s and noticed way more consistency - the ten shot string pictured below had a few that were pretty much same hole.

I was delighted as it’s the first time out with the put-together rifle and I’m a relative novice at this type of shooting. Even the trigger pull which seemed over heavy I found ok as it is crisp and predictable. Now to re check the action screw torque, good clean and try again :)
That's an interesting looking range were about is it.
RDC

#13 Post by RDC »

Sounds like you have a cracking rifle at a cracking price!

We have a .308 howa as a club rifle and it certainly does the job.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#14 Post by 1066 »

Hrun wrote:I have a new method for sighting..

Fire a shot.. keep the rifle pointed at the original aim point and move the scope so the cross hairs cover the hole..

Fire at the original aimpoint and done (I have a rest the hold front and back especially for this)..

Then fine tune without the rest.
My little youtube video of this method has had well over a million views. Unfortunately youtube has recently classed this video as unsuitable material and stopped running any advertising with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwD5zu7yTeI
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Hrun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: PRPC

#15 Post by Hrun »

Dang, just goes to show, every good idea has already been done.

There goes my retirement millions :-)
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#16 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Alpha1 wrote:That's an interesting looking range were about is it.
Humberside shooting ground, Brandesburton. An excellent clay ground - really very good indeed - and the rifle range caters for rimfire and centrefire up to .308 with 25m, 50m and 100m targets. Pay and play as long as your ticket is for ‘any approved range’.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#17 Post by Alpha1 »

Interesting :good:
Richie69
Home club or Range: Easingwold

#18 Post by Richie69 »

Great looking rifle , looks a cracker of a deal.. also very jealous of the heated range !