Bench top milling machine wanted

Anything non shooting related wanted.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
All groups are welcome to post unless your user name is in Newly Registered Red, your post will be removed.
No disparaging remarks, if you don't like what you see then don't buy it.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Bench top milling machine wanted

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I am looking for a bench top milling machine for light/medium duty work, something single phase in the 500-750 watt range would be perfect. Alternatively suggestions or recommendations for models to look at. Ideally it should not weigh anymore than 75kgs.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

Re: Bench top milling machine wanted

#2 Post by Andy632 »

ovenpaa wrote:I am looking for a bench top milling machine for light/medium duty work, something single phase in the 500-750 watt range would be perfect. Alternatively suggestions or recommendations for models to look at. Ideally it should not weigh anymore than 75kgs.

How about a Warco VM14 or VM16; the VM14 comes in at 500w/60kgs and the VM16 at around 100kgs/600w. I've got the VM18 model which is a bit bigger and I'm happy enough with it.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Thanks Andy, I had been looking at the Axminster offerings and did have a read about the Warco briefly, I have just found a review of the Warco WM14 which seems to fit the bill size and weight wise, they do have a couple of nice touches and I like the digital readout for the depth of cut.

What sort of things do you use your 18 for and is there anything particularly good or bad about it for you?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Andy632
Home club or Range: Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club (& Cawdor Rifle Club)

#4 Post by Andy632 »

ovenpaa wrote:Thanks Andy, I had been looking at the Axminster offerings and did have a read about the Warco briefly, I have just found a review of the Warco WM14 which seems to fit the bill size and weight wise, they do have a couple of nice touches and I like the digital readout for the depth of cut.

What sort of things do you use your 18 for and is there anything particularly good or bad about it for you?

I bought the mill because I found I was trying to do more & more milling jobs with my big drilling machine. Things like extension charging handles for Mini 14 and M1A straight pull rifles, keyways on motor shafts, slotting in alloy & steel, and countless other little bits & pieces that I used to use a grinder & file on.
The Right tool makes the job easy.
Rifle & Pistol Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club.
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

Well I went and did it and ordered a Chester 20V, it is a bit heavier than I had planned on but I managed to get a reasonable deal by ordering a collet chuck set and machine vice and so on and they threw a couple of bits in as well. It should be here next Tuesday sometime. I have no idea how I am going to get in place but I am sure the Viking and I will manage :good:

So first project after it is set up is finish the oft talked about long term project F/TR front bipod plus a couple of small bits I have wanted to build for ages and then I can start on some proper jobs. ;)
/d

Shed Journal
Dougan

#6 Post by Dougan »

Glad you finally got one :goodjob:

Don't forget the pictures....
Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Something like this but without the base, I have also ordered a digital read out for the X axis that I will fit myself.

/d

Shed Journal
AL8

#8 Post by AL8 »

Thats very nice, I hope the base is strong enough to take the weight
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

So do I! The machine is bigger than I had planned.

The machine is around 130kgs however the bench is very robust and anchored to the wall and floor so it should be OK.

It arrives next Tuesday so I will report back when it has been set in place, cleaned, checked and tested.
/d

Shed Journal
Ovenpaa

#10 Post by Ovenpaa »

Today's trip to Trafalgar was cancelled for a number of reasons so I headed out to the shed and put some additional bracing into the bench in area the mill is going to sit on and have just given the uprights a coat of satin black paint in keeping with the rest, I am fairly confident it is good for 500kgs now so more than enough to cope with the Mill. :good:

Work light is in place as well.

Just need a Mill now to nail in place.
/d

Shed Journal