Recommend me a Machete please.

If we entered a time of Civil Unrest/Armageddon/Zombie Attacking, what would we do?

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Emergency planning regarding communication, water/food supply, shelter, equipment, transport and of course what guns to have with us!
Meaty
Home club or Range: Grove Small Arms.Thetford Gallery, STANTA, Barton Road

Re: Recommend me a Machete please.

#11 Post by Meaty »

I use a parang for coppicing, http://hunters-knives.co.uk/brands/cond ... arang.html

Its like a knife through butter on the green sticks.
"There are four boxes to be used in the defence of liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Please use in that order."
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#12 Post by Daryll »

Dark Skies wrote:
Ovenpaa wrote:As the subject, I *need* a machete, nothing pretty or Tactical/Zombie just something with a decent heft and will hold an edge, carbon steel would be my preference.

Thoughts anyone?
I've been using one of these in the garden (I call it a garden, it's actually a field I bought and incorporated into the garden) and it's been great for general clearing of nettles, bushes and such for not much money. Had several years use and still sharp and going strong. No complaints.

Machete don't fail! :)

https://www.coldsteel-uk.com/store/24-- ... chete.html

You can't go far wrong with Cold Steel stuff...

I've got this one:
https://www.coldsteel-uk.com/store/Kukri-Machete-1.html

Bought from Cabelas on one of my US trips a couple of years ago.... was (and still is) £30 here, $25 in the US.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#13 Post by froggy »

I have a Tramontina. It does all I want & it is very cheap. A friend who was instructor in the Legion Jungle Warfare Center in Guyana swear by them, so well worth a look OvenPa ;)
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#14 Post by Kungfugerbil »

froggy wrote:I have a Tramontina. It does all I want & it is very cheap.
My Brother was given one in Brazil 25 years ago whilst working a rainforest project, he still has it. Cost 50p or thereabouts. As work tools rather than zombie wall hangers they are great :)
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Ovenpaa »

It is as a tool that I need a Machete and I do keep reading about the Martindale Golok which looks like it would fit the job. Downside is mixed reviews..
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#16 Post by saddler »

Mixed reviews from the "it's no good if it never cost over £100" crowd? (or the Ray Mears fanboys?)

I sold my spare to my then FEO for use when stalking. Added a leather scabbard & he has been using it happily for years.

If I wasn't so keen on the British made Golok I'd be pushing you toward a Finnish Skrama that I can source.
About three times the price of the Martindale. Very similar apart from a much bigger handle (rubber).

The US issue 1942 machete is good too. Some patterns are made by Martindale.