The Thankful Villages

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
falco67
Site Supporter Since 2015

The Thankful Villages

#1 Post by falco67 »

I don't know if this has been posted before but it may be of interest to some..

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/Hi ... -Villages/

having read the above article I then came across this by Hugh Scofield regarding a French village

"With 1.4 million dead or missing, France's male population was literally decimated in World War I. By the early 1920s thousands of memorials had been erected - the famous Monuments aux Morts with their long rolls of war-dead.

Just about all of France's 36,000 communes have their own Monument aux Morts. Many are a simple obelisk, crowned by a French cock or a palm frond representing victory. Others include pieces of statuary, much of it mass-produced so that the same representations of soldiery can be seen in many different villages.
In fact there are also a handful of places without a memorial. Sometimes this is because two or more neighbouring communes - with limited resources - agreed to share a single monument. But in a few very rare cases, it is because all the soldiers came back home.

Thierville - a tiny village in Normandy - is one such place. In some reference books, it is erroneously listed as the only commune where all the soldiers returned from the Great War. That is incorrect. What is true is that Thierville has not suffered a single fatality in any of France's last five wars - the Franco-Prussian war of 1870, World Wars I and II, Indochina, and Algeria. And on that score it is unique.the pattern was set in 1870, when a local man called Baptiste Saillot was one of only a few survivors from a famous cavalry charge at the Battle of Reichshofen in north-east France. He returned to Thierville and lived until 1933. Until recently, local people would assemble at Saillot's grave on Armistice Day - for want of a Monument aux Morts on which to lay a wreathe. But in 2009, the mayor erected a small plaque to honour the village's fighters and Resistance members. And this is now where they gather."

regards

Geoff
Ovenpaa

Re: The Thankful Villages

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/Hi ... -Villages/ Makes for interesting reading with four villages in our county being spared yet none in Bedfordshire were we moved from.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Chuck

#3 Post by Chuck »

Ol Jenks would have been well into this thread.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
falco67

#4 Post by falco67 »

http://www.lincolnshirelife.co.uk/posts ... l-villages

Hi David
Some more information re the Lincolnshire Thankful Villages

Regards

Geoff
Ralph
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Ralph »

Supposedly there are 13 Doubly Thankful villages

2 not for from me between Carnforth and Kirby Lonsdale. only a few miles apart and they all came home from WW1 and 2

Arkholme *, Nether Kellet *
Ralph NW UK
Interested in muzzle loading and anything that makes a loud noise and goes fast.
RDC

#6 Post by RDC »

Cheers Ralph, I knew there was a couple up this way but couldn't for the life of me remember where.