Andy McNab

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Chuck

Andy McNab

#1 Post by Chuck »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/a ... ntity.html

Some articles say he's getting an award for his Charity work?

Mail not pushing that bit...
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
toffe wrapper

Re: Andy McNab

#2 Post by toffe wrapper »

Well it would have to be for his charity work.

His ability to write books, gauge how much equipment a section can carry.
Or simply bash a kid over the head with a rock and make it look like an accident are pants.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#3 Post by breacher »

toffe wrapper wrote:Well it would have to be for his charity work.

His ability to write books, gauge how much equipment a section can carry.
Or simply bash a kid over the head with a rock and make it look like an accident are pants.
I remember starting one of his books and as soon as I reached the quote "the terrorist fired an entire round of bullets in one burst", I realised his books were not for me.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Odd Job

#4 Post by Odd Job »

I enjoyed reading Bravo Two Zero.

Also I believe he was a technical adviser on the movie set of "Heat" with Robert De Niro and Al Pacino (mainly for the gun-handling in the signature shootout for which the movie is famous).
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.
nickb834
Home club or Range: Wakefield R&PC, Warwickshire Armourers R&PC

#5 Post by nickb834 »

Say what you like about the guy - but the fact is - he passed selection which is hard as f*** - made it though his continuation training and got to a sabre squadron.

Whatever else we might say or think about the bloke - that's some achievement that not many can accurately and honestly lay claim to.

Mindst - that said 22 must be the biggest regiment in the world as I've never met so many people who have served / had relative / mate / bloke down pub in it.......
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#6 Post by Daryll »

nickb834 wrote: Mindst - that said 22 must be the biggest regiment in the world as I've never met so many people who have served / had relative / mate / bloke down pub in it.......

Haven't I read somewhere that the Iranian Embassy balcony would have collapsed under the weight of all the blokes who claimed to have been there..??

lol
nickb834
Home club or Range: Wakefield R&PC, Warwickshire Armourers R&PC

#7 Post by nickb834 »

Daryll wrote:
nickb834 wrote: Mindst - that said 22 must be the biggest regiment in the world as I've never met so many people who have served / had relative / mate / bloke down pub in it.......

Haven't I read somewhere that the Iranian Embassy balcony would have collapsed under the weight of all the blokes who claimed to have been there..??

lol
hahaha - like it!

Not quite in the same league but I once stopped in a B&B somewhere where the proprietrix husband had a troop photo of him in the jungle waay back when where the troop commander was one Lt P.De La Billiere - later Director SAS and then GoC commanding British Forces in the sandpit first time round (ignoring all the other wars and battles we've fought all over iraq / palestine / middle east) - anyhoo - how's that for a tenuous link lol

#8 Post by 24772433 »

Odd Job wrote: Also I believe he was a technical adviser on the movie set of "Heat" with Robert De Niro and Al Pacino (mainly for the gun-handling in the signature shootout for which the movie is famous).
He was credited with teaching Kilmer & De Niro the Fire & Manouvre tactics employed, which were very Special Forces-esque, advancing towards the contact as opposed to breaking contact. They were surrounded at one point however, so counter ambush drills mandate advancing to contact. McNab claimed that the law enforcement agencies were horrified by its realism. A violent incident in 1997 where two felons armed with 'assault weapons' out fought a superior number of police armed with pistols and shotguns, until the cavalry arrived, only reinforced their fears.
takbok

#9 Post by takbok »

I also enjoyed Bravo Two Zero. Well done to Andy for making a go of things and for being successful with his books. One needs to be extremely dedicated to get into the SAS.

I'm not the greatest fan of his novels though.
Chuck

#10 Post by Chuck »

My aunts brother was in SAS, joined from the paras after doing stuf fin Borneo - so it's a while back. Used to enjoy listening to the stories he told the oldies. He was in NI apprently, came out a nervous wreck.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!