Just a young soldier in WW1

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Chuck

Just a young soldier in WW1

#1 Post by Chuck »

Grandfather (born 1894) as a soldier in WW1. He was in the BEF when he got married in 1918, my grandmother's occupation was listed as a Munitions Worker at that time.

After the war he was an inspector on the railways and worked a lot on the West Coast line...distant memories of being on the footplate with him as a toddler.

Just something different for today.
The attachment Frank in Uniform 1.jpg is no longer available
Frank and Jessie wedding Photo Married on 28th February 1918 #1.jpg
Frank in Uniform 1.jpg
Attachments
Bravery citation.jpg
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Just a young soldier in WW1

#2 Post by 20series »

Well done that man :goodjob:

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Chuck

#3 Post by Chuck »

Thanks Alan :good: - he died when I was quite young but I do remember him, and all those steam train rides as a toddler - and the Woodbine ciggies he smoked.

Xmas was great because we always got a REAL tree, plucked from some forest at the trackside, and the coal fire had the best wood from the tenders :lol:
Frank in uniform with Jessie group photo (2).jpg
Amazing how styles have changed in 96 years.

I still have the trench art he made when he was in France...perfect condition. It was always kept safe. He also made a cracking butchers knife - handle contains of bits from German planes that were shot down!!! I don't think he used it in fighting though - but it would have made a handy but fearsome weapon!
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#4 Post by 20series »

My Grandad ( Mums side) served in WW1, IIRC he served with 16th Battalion Rifle Brigade and was wounded by an artillery barrage but survived, he died when I was about 18months old so I don't remember him. The story I was told is he lied about his age and joined up at 16 :flag13:

My other granddad was refused in entry by the forces despite trying 3 times due to a supposed heart murmur, he became an ARP and saw London during the blitz.

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Chuck

#5 Post by Chuck »

Aye sterner stuff in some respects then - I was just thinking him this morning with it being Remembrance Day,wondering what was going through his mind at the time those photos were taken...and when he unhitched the wagon. "Burning wagon,... let me at it" typical Glaswegian :lol: .

Wondering if would be possible to find out where that actually happened?

Just remembered I have his dog tags and cap badge too
bobbob
Site Supporter Since 2016

#6 Post by bobbob »

Great memories Chuck, thanks for sharing.
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
Chuck

#7 Post by Chuck »

Cheers Bobbob thanks. He was quite a sportsman too, I think he took to do with the local rowing club,they did well.

Glasgow Printers Rowing Club (no idea of date,probably early 1950's. He'sthe old fella third in from left with the dark suit.
Glasgow Printers Rowing Club group and tropies with Frank.jpg
Jenks

#8 Post by Jenks »

Chuck..

I notice that your Grandad is wearing a Glengary and as you said he was in the 16th Bat. Rifle Brigade. the citation for his act of bravery indicates that he was a Sapper (Royal Engineer) did he re-badge or was he infantry attached to the RE's? Was he an engine driver pre-war?

Jenks
Chuck

#9 Post by Chuck »

No idea Jenks, wish I knew more.

He died when I was seven so that's a good while back. He could well have been in the railways then as my GREAT GRANDFATHER was a railway signalman. (AHHH memories now of being in a signal box and trying to pull the levers - or was I climbing up on them :grin: )

I do know from documents he was in the BEF when he got married on 28/02/1918. His dog tag says A&SH or Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders as does the cap badge sititng in front of me right now.