Japan Honours its War Criminals

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Jenks

Re: Japan Honours its War Criminals

#11 Post by Jenks »

Chuck..

Having been born on VE day I have often pondered the use of the atom bombs on Japan. I have concluded that The dropping of the bomb on Hiroshima was entirely justified. However I do wonder if the bomb dropped on Nagasaki was really necessary. I also wonder if the fact that the bombs were of different types , was a significant factor. Was the west keen to use the different types of bombs to assess the differing results. Thus far apart from the dreadful results for the citizens of the two cities I think the fact the world was able to see the dreadful/awesome power unleashed by these weapons has kept us safe thus far from them being used again. (M.A.D.) Having said all that, the rapidly developing and deteriorating situation in Russia/Ukraine could test the theory to breaking point.

Jenks
Chuck

#12 Post by Chuck »

Jenks,

Little Boy was the codename for the type of atomic bomb dropped on the Japanese city of Hiroshima on August 6, 1945 by the Boeing B-29 Superfortress Enola Gay, piloted by Colonel Paul W. Tibbets, Jr., commander of the 509th Composite Group of the United States Army Air Forces. It was the first atomic bomb to be used in warfare. The Hiroshima bombing was the second artificial nuclear explosion in history, after the Trinity test, and the first uranium-based detonation. Approximately 600 to 860 milligrams (9.3 to 13.3 grains) of matter in the bomb was converted into the energy of heat and radiation. It exploded with an energy of 16 kilotons of TNT (67 TJ

Fat Man was an implosion-type nuclear weapon with a plutonium core. The first to be detonated was the Gadget, in the Trinity nuclear test, less than a month earlier on 16 July at the Alamogordo Bombing and Gunnery Range in New Mexico. This bomb was identical in most respects to the Fat Man used at Nagasaki.

There are some differences (uranium -v- plutonium based) between Hiroshima and Nagasaki devices so fair to say some experimentation could be suspected, though I would say it was a case of "make your mind up quickly" time because the FIRST atomic bomb was new and no one knew such things existed - or what they could do. So yes, maybe Japan DID need a little encouragement after Hiroshima.

Then again, are we any different today? When Gulf War 1 happened it was a showcase for Boeing and US Arms companies: laser and wire guided weapons, night vision, DU ammo etc etc all played out like a video game -bombs down chimneys and through windows etc. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cKodGdly9k - might upset some.

The Rosenbergs - Julius Rosenberg (May 12, 1918 – June 19, 1953) and Ethel Greenglass Rosenberg (September 25, 1915[1] – June 19, 1953) were American citizens executed for conspiracy to commit espionage, relating to passing information about the atomic bomb to the Soviet Union.

In effect and by accident, their misguided and naive thoughts that by giving Russia some US nuke plans they would avert nuclear war brought about the MAD theory which has kept us nuclear war free so far. I remember the Cuban missile crisis as a kid, and that WAS close. We have "tested" over 2000 nukes, below, on and above ground and probably in space /very high altitude and underwater - so we have a good idea of how to wipe out our species several times over should we so desire.

With regards today's world events, once again Putin plays the nuclear card right away - one day he might just lose one day - just as Saddam did thanks in part to his posturing! Whilst we worry (rightly) about loony tune states like Pakistan and Iran having nukes, our demise could still be brought about by a power hungry ex KGB person should we ever decide to take him on (which I doubt we ever will - thanks to the Rosenbergs above!).
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
ordnance

#13 Post by ordnance »

I suppose its no different than Americans honouring the American army that slaughter the native American Indians. And carried out what would be looked at now as war crimes and genocide.
Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#14 Post by Dellboy »

[quote="Chuck"]

Could be that prisoners and civvies captured as in say Singapore were NOT combatants when they were bayonetted in their homes, hospital beds and of course prison camps where there would normally be a duty of care under the Geneva Convention.

sadly soldiers were also captured and bayoneted both in hospital beds and trying to defend the place (without the use of the stockpiled weapons and supplies locked in storage )
This from information obtained from guys that were there (although most sadly no longer with us )and not in a gun ho hero type way
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Chuck

#15 Post by Chuck »

Ordnance, the US Mlitary has a history of such things: Wounded Knee, Mi Lai, No Gun Ree spring to mind,though to be fair in a way, the colonists committed what is now called genocide by slaughtering the native population so they could settle on tribal lands.

Maybe if the tribes had got together and fought the colonisers the story would be different, nothing has changed in that department if you look at Arab Countries today. Safe to say colonisers inevitably displace and slaughter the indigenous population, the Brits etc were no different there - and we should be paying attention to the colonisation going on today.

And as for Buffalo Bill slaughtering wild beasts for fun - but in reality to deprive the Indians of food - is not exactly heroic is it.

Singapore, best described as another clusterfck brought about by pompous naivety and underestimating the enemy...still happening today! No,the WILL come by sea - oops who's that behind us! Bottom line though was that Japanese troops saw anyone surrendering as the lowest of the low. Come to think of it oil, or lack of - played a part in Japans decision to wage war did it not?.

I never could understand why they never hanged Hirohito (in whose name it all happened) to shatter their silly superstitions about him being a "GOD"!

Isn't it amazing how "GOD" crops up in so many unpleasant things these days!
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Paul-Andrzej

#16 Post by Paul-Andrzej »

At least we won't forget and that to me is the main thing. My uncles, aunties and cousins were burned to death by German troops so it stays with me.

My own family here in England had friends who survived Burma so I know a bit about the Japanese almost first hand, as well.

However, the last thing I would do is blame descendants but I do feel the Japanese thing in the OP shows that some of them still have it in them to do it again.
Paul-Andrzej

I'm not happy, but I'm not unhappy about it. Alan Bennett.
Chuck

#17 Post by Chuck »

Hi Paul,

I think some folks do not realise what that history actually means to some people in reality!

I get hacked off by those nowadays who say we should forget it etc etc. it was 60 years ago and so on! Well they said at the time "we should record it all so it cannot be denied" and "make sure it never happens again".

Good ideas that never worked.