Forgotten Soldiers of the Empire

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Forgotten Soldiers of the Empire

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Did anyone catch this last night, written and presented by David Olusoga I found it compulsive viewing even though I missed the first few minutes.

It is on iPlayer for another 6 days:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... gn-legions
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dave_303

Re: Forgotten Soldiers of the Empire

#2 Post by dave_303 »

I watched the first episode, so need to catch up.

Personally I felt the first episode went too much for the OMG LOOK HOW NASTY WHITE IMPERIALISTS WERE.

Well yes, we and the French had our down sides, but I felt he missed out on the brilliant performances that some of these units did, their acts in the middle east and s*** treatment by the Ottomans as PoWs and also ignored the fact that in (I think) 1915 we commissioned our first black officer who went on to become rather decorated for his heroism.

Will watch the next episode with anticipation as the subject and programme has the potential of being really bloody interesting.
jcampbellsmith
Home club or Range: BDS, L&BRC

#3 Post by jcampbellsmith »

ovenpaa wrote:Did anyone catch this last night, written and presented by David Olusoga I found it compulsive viewing even though I missed the first few minutes.

It is on iPlayer for another 6 days:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... gn-legions
David. I watched it by accident and it was very good. Having read a lot on the WWI over the years, I'm amazed at how much new material is emerging just now.

Regards

JCS
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

A lot of new material or maybe just previously unnoticed material.

I am convinced that, during the coverage this year of the events 100 years ago, in the current political climate that the white man will take a beating.
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#5 Post by Les »

christel wrote:A lot of new material or maybe just previously unnoticed material.

I am convinced that, during the coverage this year of the events 100 years ago, in the current political climate that the white man will take a beating.
Indeed.

The role of black and brown (etc) soldiers who fought and died alongside the (white) allied troops has been down-played for too many years. It is a testament to them that they were willing to go to war to help people who frequently treated them as second rate subjects - only to be ignored again afterwards.

And we are supposed to be civilised. :roll: kukkuk