BBC2 - Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

BBC2 - Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

Did anyone watch the documentary on Eric "Winkle" Brown last night?

Captain Eric Melrose "Winkle" Brown, RN, CBE, DSC, AFC, Hon FRAeS (born 21 January 1919) is a British former Royal Navy officer and test pilot who, in testing 487 different types of aircraft, has flown more types of aircraft than anyone else in history. He also holds the world record for most aircraft carrier landings performed and is the Fleet Air Arm's most decorated living pilot.

I enjoyed it however for me it was spoilt slightly by the camera effects.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
DW58
Home club or Range: Cawdor RGC

Re: BBC2 - Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown

#2 Post by DW58 »

A inspirational documentary. I've long been a fan of "Winkle" Brown since reading his autobiography "Wings on my sleeve" over thirty years ago.
Rob
.22 Anschütz 1416 | .22 Browning T-Bolt | .222 Rem CZ (Mod) | .223 Rem Tikka/KRG X-Ray chassis | .243 Win/.308 Win Sauer 200 (Mod) | .308 Win Tikka T3/GRS Bolthorn chassis | .300 WSM Tikka T3/KRG X-Ray chassis| .308 Sig Sauer SSG 3000 | 7.5x55mm K31
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#3 Post by mag41uk »

I had never heard of the chap before but what an amazing career!
He seemed to be in the right place at the right time to do all the things he did.
Its on iplayer if you missed it.

The program about 6th June after was pretty good too.
Jenks

#4 Post by Jenks »

I missed it, but have just watched it on IPlayer (available for six days)

A truly amazing man, who had an extraordinary career.

Jenks
Polchraine

#5 Post by Polchraine »

Planning to watch it tonight - I watched the one on D-Day last night.

I did notice they pictured him in RAF uniform which seems odd for a Royal Navy Officer. Maybe I will find out tonight.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by 1066 »

What an amazing chap, what an amazing pilot. A true unsung hero. I thoroughly enjoyed his autobiography and will enjoy watching the programme when I get chance.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
DW58
Home club or Range: Cawdor RGC

#7 Post by DW58 »

Polchraine wrote:Planning to watch it tonight - I watched the one on D-Day last night.

I did notice they pictured him in RAF uniform which seems odd for a Royal Navy Officer. Maybe I will find out tonight.
He was a member of Edinburgh University Air Squadron as a student, hence the RAF uniform.
Rob
.22 Anschütz 1416 | .22 Browning T-Bolt | .222 Rem CZ (Mod) | .223 Rem Tikka/KRG X-Ray chassis | .243 Win/.308 Win Sauer 200 (Mod) | .308 Win Tikka T3/GRS Bolthorn chassis | .300 WSM Tikka T3/KRG X-Ray chassis| .308 Sig Sauer SSG 3000 | 7.5x55mm K31
Polchraine

#8 Post by Polchraine »

DW58 wrote:
Polchraine wrote:Planning to watch it tonight - I watched the one on D-Day last night.

He was a member of Edinburgh University Air Squadron as a student, hence the RAF uniform.
Thanks ... and then he saw sense. Always fun watching CrabAir trying to land on carriers.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#9 Post by IainWR »

Polchraine wrote: Thanks ... and then he saw sense. Always fun watching CrabAir trying to land on carriers.
Errr ...

I was a member of Aberdeen UAS (as was my father). I loved messing about in boats and thought the Fleet Air Arm was the life for me, right up to the point that AURNU (work it out yourself A1) took me to Dartmouth.
About 30 years later, I landed on Lusty one dark and stormy night halfway down the North Sea, to collect a matelot who needed Comp A transport, and as I departed into the snowstorm, Flyco signed off with "nice job, God speed crab". I cried a little for our guy in the back.

Iain
Egg on Leggs1
Home club or Range: Kings Heath Rifle Club

#10 Post by Egg on Leggs1 »

Sikorsky R-4B Hoverfly - first helicopter flown by Brown, learnt to fly it from aircraft manual.[57][58] :o