Various older Aircraft

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Jenks

Various older Aircraft

#1 Post by Jenks »

Auster.

Whitley/

Victor.

Typhoon.

Stirling

Skeeter.

Short Sunderland.

Shackleton.

Maryland. (anyone ever heard of it or seen one?)

Lancashire Prospector EP9

Hudson.

Arocobra.

Grumman Martlett.

Chipmunk.

Catalina.

Alouette.

Brabazon fyling alongsige Bristol Freighter.

JU88.

Horsa Glider.

Various..

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Various older Aircraft

#2 Post by dromia »

Thanks for those Jenks takes me straight back to my Airfix modelling days when I was steeped in all those aircraft with their magical names. :D

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Chuck

#3 Post by Chuck »

Me too dromia, Sunderlands, Stirlings, Wellingtons, Halifax, Hawker Typhoons and Tempests, Westland Whirlwind and Boulton Paul Defiant, you never hear much of the last two.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#4 Post by dromia »

Aye the Whirlwind looked great twin engines and sleek, the defiant looked as though it was desgned by a committee but I loved the Airfix kit in its mean black plastic. Probably just me but it seemed that each Airfix release also featured in the latest issue of the Commando comic books.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Chuck

#5 Post by Chuck »

Yes, funny that. My first kit was the Hawker Hunter, followed by the Mig15 combo. Had over 100 including the Boeing Superfortress and the Focke Wulf Kondor . My favourite was /is still the Mosquito, still wish I could get a flight in one.... :cry:
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Sandgroper »

“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Jenks

#7 Post by Jenks »

Chuck wrote:Yes, funny that. My first kit was the Hawker Hunter, followed by the Mig15 combo. Had over 100 including the Boeing Superfortress and the Focke Wulf Kondor . My favourite was /is still the Mosquito, still wish I could get a flight in one.... :cry:

Chuck...

My Dad applied to Fly Mosqutos. Didn't make it.

After a spell at two more satellite airfields, Wheaton Aston and Perton near to Wolverhampton, I was posted to Wymeswold near Loughborough as a Beam Approved Instructor having recently completed a course at the Beam training school.

While there we had a nasty accident, one of our aircraft having got permission to use a Beam had a head on collision with a Lancaster who was also using the beam without permission. Both aircraft were in cloud at the time. The young flying officer at the time was going steady with our W.A.A.F. driver. I remember the conversation in the crew room afterwards. Someone said “who is going to tell Dot”? A Canadian pilot said “I’ll tell her”, and another one said “break it to her gently Johnny“. We were shocked when he came back and said all she said was “Oh blast we were going dancing tonight”.

Later I applied to fly Mosquito aircraft for the Pathfinders as Beam trained pilots were needed. I was interviewed at P.F. Headquarters and was accepted but would be required to pass an altitude test. This took place soon afterwards. The test was 3 x 2 hour periods at 38000 feet with 10 minutes in every hour at 42000 feet. This took place in a de-compression chamber with 6 bods being tested and a doctor supervising and controlling. We were given certain problems to solve and showing the answers at a Port Hole. Myself and one other just could not stand the pain at 42000 feet. It was excruciating, just like the cramp in every joint in one’s body.

The result was a posting on to Halifax heavy bombers, but after just 8 operations I lost my Navigator and rather than going back to O.T.U. to train with another crew I volunteered for transport command and a Far East posting. After being crewed up and training on Dakota aircraft the Wing Commander sent for me and talked me into another tour instructing as they were short of Instructors.
Jenks

#8 Post by Jenks »

Sandgroper wrote:Jenks,
Re: The Maryland,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Maryland

Sandgroper..
Thanks for that, It looks as the Maryland in the phpto might be in French colours.

Jenks