CWGC Grave.

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Christel
Site Admin

Re: CWGC Grave.

#21 Post by Christel »

Thank you R.G.C for the pictures, all taken at Fromelles.

:goodjob:
Attachments
Fromelles 22.jpg
Fromelles 19.jpg
Fromelles 5.jpg
Fromelles 4.jpg
Fromelles 1.jpg
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#22 Post by mag41uk »

Have you thought about contacting the CWG commision directly?
They are there to ensure upkeep of CWGraves.
Everyone I have been to in Belgium/France,small or large are immaculate.

Tony
Jenks

#23 Post by Jenks »

Polchraine..

Had a look at every headstone in the churchyard. no sign of Sgt. Hillier. I wonder if it could be that his name is on the war memorial that is in the church and he is buried elsewhere.
I obviously didn't look hard enough because I have found the grave of Sgt. Lancelot David Hillier.

His grave is a private one not a CWGC grave. Whilst it is in a sad condition and wouldn't take much to smarten it up, I don't think it would be proper to interfere with it in anyway without the permission of his family. I will have to see what the vicar and PPC have to say about that.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... d=33077884

He and his brother Albert Edward are on the War memorial in the church.

(Sorry for poor quality)

Albert Edward was killed on Oct 29 1918 and this information is on the headstone in B/Stacey. plus the fact that he is interred in Stratford-Sub-Castle(St Lawrence) Churchyard . Can't find Albert on CWGC roll of honour as being buried there!

Jenks
Jenks

#24 Post by Jenks »

mag41uk wrote:Have you thought about contacting the CWG commision directly?
They are there to ensure upkeep of CWGraves.
Everyone I have been to in Belgium/France,small or large are immaculate.

Tony
Tony..

Yes, I did send a request for information to CWGC but they whilst they acknowledged my request they say it could take a month to get a reply. Like you I have visited many of the cemeteries they maintain and as you say they are immaculate as RGCs photos of the cemetery at Fromelles show. (thanks for those RGC).

Jenks
Jenks

#25 Post by Jenks »

Another photo from the municipal cemetery at Comines. A typically Gemanic monument. I'm amazed that after the years of occupation by the Germans it wasn't torn down. Ironically a few yards there is a grave of a French national inscribed 'Killed in the Bombardment'

Jenks
Polchraine

#26 Post by Polchraine »

Jenks wrote:Another photo from the municipal cemetery at Comines. A typically Gemanic monument. I'm amazed that after the years of occupation by the Germans it wasn't torn down. Ironically a few yards there is a grave of a French national inscribed 'Killed in the Bombardment'

Jenks
I know the French/Belgian/Dutch can be irrational but they do seem to have respect for War Cemeteries irrespective of which side they were on.

I have tried all the various search tricks I know of to find Albert Edward Hillier - but without success! CWGC with a copy of the Plaque and Headstone might ellicit some details. Did he die on teh battle field? Or was he wounded and returned to England where he later died under civilian medical care? It happened with my Grandfather - and he is not listed as "War Dead".

As for Sjt Hilliers grave, ask the vicar if he knows of any relatives or visitors and if not maybe just a tidy up to remove the weeds and some moss. Then get a large poppy - the plastic type used for cars, or a memorial cross, put your contact details (name and phone number) on the back and place it in a corner of the grave - hopefully no one will be offended and they may just look and see.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Why did kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

God loves stupid people, that is why he made so many of them.
Polchraine

#27 Post by Polchraine »

R.G.C wrote:
1st Battalion Hampshires relieved Somerset light Infantry in Ploegsteert Wood 28th (Plugstreet in Tommy speak.)

BTW, Ploegsteert is my place of birth...

R.G.C

If you still know anyone around Ploegesteert it would really be appreciated if I could get a picture of a name.

My mother's aunt's husband's brother is commemorated there and none of the current "family knew much about him except that he was killed in 1915 - his brother apparently never discussed it. Until, I was able to track down his details for my cousin. She was delighted to get the details but being 80 and living in Florida means that it is unlikely she will ever get there.

"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it's difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine."
- Abraham Lincoln

Jenks

#28 Post by Jenks »

Polchraine..

I have hit a bit of a blank wall with Albert Edward Hiller. I think (when it's a bit warmer) a trip to Stratford-Sub-Castle(St Lawrence) Churchyard . Might be on the agenda. I will explore through the CWGC but they do take so long to respond. I will first contact the

The Regimental Association - Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment to see iif he was in the same regiment as his brother Lancelot (what a wonderful name)

Jenks
Polchraine

#29 Post by Polchraine »

Jenks wrote:Polchraine..

I have hit a bit of a blank wall with Albert Edward Hiller. I think (when it's a bit warmer) a trip to Stratford-Sub-Castle(St Lawrence) Churchyard . Might be on the agenda. I will explore through the CWGC but they do take so long to respond. I will first contact the

The Regimental Association - Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment to see iif he was in the same regiment as his brother Lancelot (what a wonderful name)

Jenks
His death is registered: http://www2.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/informat ... 142&scan=1 and click on "View the Original" It shows his death registered in Oct/Nov/Dec 1918 which would tie in with the 28 September date of death. Being registered in Salisbury - was that where he died and was he on active service?

Lancelot's death is registered at: http://www2.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/informat ... 1354011142 in Jan/Feb/Mar 1919

- Abraham Lincoln

Jenks

#30 Post by Jenks »

Polchraine wrote:
Jenks wrote:Polchraine..

Jenks
His death is registered: http://www2.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/informat ... 142&scan=1 and click on "View the Original" It shows his death registered in Oct/Nov/Dec 1918 which would tie in with the 28 September date of death. Being registered in Salisbury - was that where he died and was he on active service?

Lancelot's death is registered at: http://www2.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/informat ... 1354011142 in Jan/Feb/Mar 1919
Polchraine..

Thanks for that I did find that information about Albert from another source.. I still don't know exactly where he died . In fact I'm going round in circles I will have to get down to St Lawrence (Salisbury) and see if I can locate him in the church yard.

Jenks