CWGC Grave.

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
Jenks

Re: CWGC Grave.

#61 Post by Jenks »

Just spotted this article (don't know how I missed it)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/worl ... raves.html

I visited L/cpl Smith and Sgt Hilliers graves to do a bit of tidying up yesterday. (First time in three weeks,) they are both looking a little sad at the moment the grass on L/cpls Smith's grave has all but died and the stone work on both graves has been affected by green mould having said that they both look a lot better than they did a year or so ago. I think that in the spring I will have to apply some biocide 'BUT WHICH ONE'? Does anyone know? I can't risk doing any damage. The Snow Drops I planted in a little pot on Lancelot's grave are about to bloom. I'm going across next week and will take a couple of photo's.

Jenks
Jenks

#62 Post by Jenks »

Finally got to go to Barton Stacey today to tidy up the graves. Spent one and a half hours will still have to go back and have another go at Sgt Hiller's grave... Probably Sunday afternoon.

Lcpl Smith's grave as I found it:

After a bit of a clean up:

Sgt Hilliers... Before:

After much elbow grease:

Jenks
Chuck

#63 Post by Chuck »

I take my hat off to you on this jenks, well done sir. :good: :good: :good: :good:
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Jenks

#64 Post by Jenks »

Chuck wrote:I take my hat off to you on this jenks, well done sir. :good: :good: :good: :good:
Chuck..

Thanks. I really don't mind looking after the graves, I wouldn't have taken them on if I did I do worry though about Walter Herberts grave. It is a forty minute round trip from my new home, not a problem at the moment ( I didn't know I would be moving when I started out on this) but if I re-seed the grass it will need a lot of attention in the summer watering/ grass cutting etc. It seems that I am unlikely to be able to work full time again (arthritis) so I won't be visiting Barton Stacey work-wise as often as I thought I might. Given the cost of fuel and my reduced income I think I will be stretched to go as often as is necessary. Which would be a shame. I think I might put a notice in the shop window for someone to help me.

Jenks
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#65 Post by Mike357 »

Hats off to you sir!

Sent from my boing using "An application"
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
Jenks

#66 Post by Jenks »

Mike357 wrote:Hats off to you sir!

Sent from my boing using "An application"
Mike357..

Thank you. How I wish a few people in Barton Stacey felt as you, Chuck, and many members of the Forum do,( judged by the expressions of support I have received.) Sadly it seems the christian folk in Barton Stacey bye and large couldn't give a toss about the two graves.... Though I expect they wax lyrical about the marvelous condition of the CWGC in France, and worldwide. On remembrance day last year not one adult visited the two graves. I know because I watched them going, in and coming out of the Church. Not a few were members of the armed services, and in uniform, medals and all. ONE OF THOSE DAYS... CHRISTMAS.. GOOD FRIDAY..ETC.
Oh dear I fear I am becoming judgmental.

Jenks
Jenks

#67 Post by Jenks »

Back a few posts I asked if anyone could advise me on a biocide that might be suitable for treating the stones of the two graves. Well nobody came back with any advice, but a friend told me about 'Patio Magic'. Well the last time I went over and had a go at cleaning the stones....... The hard way! I plucked up the courage to spray a four to one dilution on the stone and leave it to work its magic for two full days.. Today when I went over they were both nearly spotlessly clean. :good: :grin:I didn't take a photo as it was hissing down with rain.

Patio Magic:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Patio-Litres-Li ... atio+magic

Jenks
Chuck

#68 Post by Chuck »

I never had any stones to clean Jenks (no jokes you lot) and a portable jet wash might just not have been the thing - suppose Mr Muscle might also do the job, or bleach???

But seriously, YES Jenks, I do most sincerely admire you for what you are doing, long may it continue old chap.
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
meles meles
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: HBSA

#69 Post by meles meles »

Stone Henge could do with a bit of a scrub up...
Badger
CEO (Chief Excavatin' Officer)
Badger Korporashun

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur.
"Quelle style, so British"
Stuck
Home club or Range: Diggle

#70 Post by Stuck »

It is an admirable thing you are doing there Sir.
Infidel