Charles C.J. Hyde 1952 Olympic Team

Somewhere to share your tales, anecdotes and memories from past days.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please remember to respect the copyright of the author. Please do not post content from this section elsewhere without the specific permission of the author.
CharlesHyde
Home club or Range: reno gun club

Charles C.J. Hyde 1952 Olympic Team

#1 Post by CharlesHyde »

Does anyone remember a C.J. Hyde he was a smallbore shooter in the 1940-1950's and was a member of the 1952 British Olympic team .Hyde shot in the 50M 3P & prone events.I am looking for any articles or pictures of the British team or Hyde.He used a very rare Winchester 52 rifle and am trying to find info on it.He was from Salisbury Wiltshire.

Thanks in advance.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Charles C.J. Hyde 1952 Olympic Team

#2 Post by dromia »

Welcome!

Why not introduce yourself on the new members forum?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
CharlesHyde

#3 Post by CharlesHyde »

CharlesHyde wrote:Does anyone remember a C.J. Hyde he was a smallbore shooter in the 1940-1950's and was a member of the 1952 British Olympic team .Hyde shot in the 50M 3P & prone events.I am looking for any articles or pictures of the British team or Hyde.He used a very rare Winchester 52 rifle and am trying to find info on it.He was from Salisbury Wiltshire.

Thanks in advance.
Here are some links to Hyde .

http://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.ph ... 40#p267040
nunhead
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by nunhead »

Jack Hyde's daughter is in her 80s and just stopped shooting. She's sold me her rifle (#104), one of 4 which Jack made for his family.

Built on a Rem37 action with an Eric Johnson barrel and Redfield sights.

It really ought to be in a Museum but the NSRA dont have a proper one and it doesn't fit the collection policy of the NRA Museum.

There really OUGHT to be a "MUSEUM OF BRITISH TARGET SHOOTING " --- everything from musket onwards, including shotgun, Heritage. .. ... ideally with associated ranges and classrooms.
CharlesHyde

#5 Post by CharlesHyde »

nunhead wrote:Jack Hyde's daughter is in her 80s and just stopped shooting. She's sold me her rifle (#104), one of 4 which Jack made for his family.

Built on a Rem37 action with an Eric Johnson barrel and Redfield sights.

It really ought to be in a Museum but the NSRA dont have a proper one and it doesn't fit the collection policy of the NRA Museum.

There really OUGHT to be a "MUSEUM OF BRITISH TARGET SHOOTING " --- everything from musket onwards, including shotgun, Heritage. .. ... ideally with associated ranges and classrooms.
Well it's been a while since I looked at this thread.Thank you for that info.The rifle I purchased is very distinct it has all the dimensions of a real Winchester 52 with a special bolt it is a solid bottom no magazine cut out the serial number is "997".It has an Eric Johnson 1 1/8 x 28 diameter barrel #1234 which talking to an expert says he has no record . The barrel is "Eric Johnson " with 5 stars. The action is a super rare round top circa 1930-35.
The image I found looks very much like my barreled action. He had this gun re-Barreled twice by Eric it has British proofs from 1952-1953.

Do you have any contact info on his daughter address email ect. I would very much like to write her . It would seem on this rifle it would not be a clone?
Your 37 Remington it is a factory action with serial #104?
If you contact her ask if he had a WINCHESTER 52 single shot rifle he shot with 1950-1955 at the Olympics.

The top image is by "C" with Jack's rifle action below it

The Bottom image is Jacks rifle showing solid bottom and trigger and machined trigger area.

You can contact me at Fast3777@att.net my name is Gary

Would be much appreciated.
Attachments
HYDERIFLE52Apg.jpg
1BritishWin52aa.jpg
hydebolt22aa.jpg
CharlesHyde

#6 Post by CharlesHyde »

I found an image of the Salisbury Rifle Team in 1948 which Won the Landsdowne Shield @BISLEY.Is the man in the front row 2nd from the left C.J."Jack" Hyde?

The 2nd image is highlighted I am trying to establish the provenance of my rifle. Part of history that traveled over the pond not a thing that is really thought about today.
Attachments
hydesalibury2.jpg
hydesalibury.jpg
nunhead
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#7 Post by nunhead »

Hi
Are you still interested in Jack Hyde?
I now have the rifle back in my gunroom,

Jim Hallam

new e-mail address is

j#i#m#@j#i#m#h#a#l#l#a#m.m#e#,u#k# (take out the hashes!)