Who is shooting where and when?

Anything shooting related including law and procedure questions.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Should your post be in Grumpy Old Men? This area is for general shooting related posts only please.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

Re: Who is shooting where and when?

#21 Post by Mattnall »

Alpha1 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:40 am I think you are not the only one with tyre kickers. I have a member who completed his probationary membership and was offered a full membership that he accepted. He has been a full member for over three years he has no intention of applying for a certificate or purchasing his own guns. He turns up once a month and uses a Club .308 and a Club .303 rifle. He purchases 100 rounds of each caliber shoots it then goes home. He knows nothing about rifles black powder revolvers etc etc. Reloading is a black art he knows nothing about. I have to lug the Club guns to the range then take them home and clean them as well as my own stuff. So you are not on your own.
This should be accepted in the same way as someone wanting to eventually own their own firearms. Part of being a HO Club member is the ability to possess and use the club's firearms after all. There are many reasons why someone wouldn't want to go the route of FAC and firearm ownership.

We have one member who doesn't want to apply as his wife doesn't want him to (and if I'm honest I doubt he could realistically afford it just now) but she is happy for him to be a member and shoot once every fortnight or so.

At another of my clubs there is one member who would not get a licence for medical reasons but he is a very keen and responsible shooter who competes with the club rifles in the postal leagues, he does very well. The police are very happy that he can shoot within the club environment and the club has had a group discussion with the member and the FEO and everyone is happy for him to continue shooting. I would be a shame if he was forced to give up one of the few pastimes and sports he can do because of the need to get an FAC.

With your 308/303 member perhaps making him clean the rifles after he has shot them is appropriate. It would enhance his participation in the sport and maybe get him interested in the working of the rifles.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
The Gun Pimp

#22 Post by The Gun Pimp »

Alpha1 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:40 am I think you are not the only one with tyre kickers. I have a member who completed his probationary membership and was offered a full membership that he accepted. He has been a full member for over three years he has no intention of applying for a certificate or purchasing his own guns. He turns up once a month and uses a Club .308 and a Club .303 rifle. He purchases 100 rounds of each caliber shoots it then goes home. He knows nothing about rifles black powder revolvers etc etc. Reloading is a black art he knows nothing about. I have to lug the Club guns to the range then take them home and clean them as well as my own stuff. So you are not on your own.
That's the problem with club guns - no incentive for members to make the commitment and get their own FAC.
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#23 Post by channel12 »

The Gun Pimp wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:06 am
That's the problem with club guns - no incentive for members to make the commitment and get their own FAC.
But as Matt has said there are some times good reasons a member may not be able to have their own guns. I think it is better to have a keen enthusiastic member who shoots regularly with club guns than somebody who uses his FAC to own guns but hardly ever shoots.

PS with modern non corrosive ammo you really don't need the clean the gun every 100 rounds (unless you really like doing it ).
Sim G
Past Supporter

#24 Post by Sim G »

Got two in our club. One has been a member for over 25 years and shoots at county level! He is a qualified coach and RCO and attends most work parties. He puts in a lot of effort. But, his wife won’t have guns in the house!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Jorden
Home club or Range: ponteland

#25 Post by Jorden »

I did not assume anything at all out your part of the world, I was only commenting on your opinion of other shooters, we must recognise that there are all kinds of shooters, some do not wish to own their own firearms or do not wish to reload, they can still enjoy the sport as much as the rest of us surely? If we try to keep ourselves as a hard core of dedicated "real" shooters we will soon become a very small band indeed.
Graham M

#26 Post by Graham M »

I have no problem with people who don't wish to have a FAC as long as they are friendly and helpful. What pizzes me off is when things get a little rough and they just disappear because they have lost interest, or when they only joined the shooting club because they wanted to join the sports club and needed a less energetic sport to take part in.
Good grief man, I have been fighting for unity for longer than I can remember, which was my reason for joining the pistol section of the club before they were banned and then going on to shoot gallery rifle.
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.